How do I know if my baby is going to be/is over weight?

This isn't something i'm too concerned about. It's just like family was talking about overweight children and how its the parents fault and I don't want her to be mad at me if she grows up fat...

B00boo

Asked by B00boo at 12:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Just make sure she doesn't eat junk and stays active and you shouldnt have a problem.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Offer only healthy foods, and let your child decide for herself when she's full. Avoid 'ranking' foods as 'treats' or 'you have to eat this to get that' because that artificially increases the interest in crap. Have lots of healthy, easy to grab foods available so she can eat whenever she's hungry without anyone saying anything stupid like 'you'll spoil your dinner' --because if the food she's eating now is as healthy as the food that's going to be served at the table, and she's hungry now, what's being spoiled?

Determine how much (if any) of her daily intake you're willing to have be junk food and never suggest that she needs to eat more of anything in order to have any of it... if it is okay for it to displace healthy food in her daily calorie intake, at least you can stop it from being in addition to what she actually needs to eat. If it's okay to displace food, how can it matter if it's before or after anything else?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• as long as that is your child, and you are in charge of what goes into her mouth you will have no worries. overweight babies and kids get like that because of their overindulgent parents. you are in control of your childs food intake so then you are responsible for her weight. Give her the foods that she needs and dont give in to feeding her the foods she want's that way she wont get mad at you for makin her fat.
    DeeDee737

Answer by DeeDee737 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Offer healthy foods and choices, promote excercise, etc.
    You will know your child is overweight. I don't care WHAT people say... they KNOW. When your kid has rolls, or a big tummy that you have to get the elastic for or way too big of sizes for, etc they are fat.
    Infants and younger hcildren are a totally different story because they may seem chubby at times but then grow a few inches and everything changes. Unless they look like they're hiding jelly donuts in their shirt... I think you're okay.

I was a fatty (still AM sadly) and I do resent my mom for allowing me to have soda and junk food. She also cooked a lot of home made meals, but they were mainly fried. :( She never made me go outdoors if I didn't want to, etc. Now I'm unhealthy and fight with myself to change.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• How old is your kiddo? By age 2 you have a good concept because the BMI can be calculated correctly
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Just make sure you're serving healthy food and getting out to exercise with your munchkin. Go for walks, go to the park, etc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Make sure they develop an interest in OUTSIDE activities....start early and they'll develop a real love for physical activities over video games *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2010