what's up with the no tv questions lately?

its more like comments. but what is the big deal about watching tv. my toddler doesn't stay still and if something catches her attention its a godsend really. she plays outside and loves to color and build with her blocks and play withher dolls. i really don't see the big deal.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 1:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just ignore them. Most of them are trolls or are moms who think they are better than everyone else. Who would want friends like that?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• They believe that because of the simple fact their kid has yet to set eyes on a TV that automatically makes them better parents and their kids will be exponentially smarter than all of us "lazy" parents that "let the TV babysit". Because TV watching automatically means they do NOTHING else in life except watch TV.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's as big a deal as people make it.

I've never run into any kids who were totally obsessed with screen time who had not, at some point in the past, had it rationed or controlled. It has been my observation that rationing and controlling things creates obsessions.

Watching an obsessed child (or adult) watch tv is pretty remarkable, and I can see why it bothers people. But the simplest way to eradicate it isn't with control, it's with absolute freedom. No one can tell anyone else that tv (or whatever) isn't 'that good' or that it's 'bad for you'... that discovery needs to come from the inside. No one who is actively resisting being controlled by someone else will be in any position to make that discovery, because they're actively seeking out 'see, it's not that bad' evidence.

Tv has the potential to be horrible --nonstop commercials and melodramatic tripe. Or enlightening, educational, inspirational, and fun.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What I love is that once again the Anon feature is being abused... All the changes CM tried to do to stop that kind of thing, and now, they just post crap like that in a question instead of an answer...

I guess I look at it like, if you're going to bash others for their imperfection (or what YOU perceive as imperfection), at least own up to it. You would think someone so perfect would want everyone to know how wonderful they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I hate that too. My kids love TV - big deal. They don't sit in front of it all day. I hate the moms who say "my dd only watches 1/2 per day". Like they time it with a stop watch!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't get it either. We love TV in our house. I get bashed because I let my kids watching things that aren't "educational" (oh noes!!!!!!11!!1).  Whatever happened to doing something for the sheer entertainment value.  I don't even program PBS into their station lineup on our cable.  I find every kids' show on that station annoying on so many levels (although I always loved the local documentaries they did).

I do try to limit their TV on days it is nice.  I insist they spend time outside playing if it isn't freezing or raining.  Sometimes they fight me but usually I have no problem getting them out of the house.  On rainy days they usually plop down in front of the TV with their toys and watch whatever.  Keeps them from driving me batty so I'm all for it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son doesn't watch tv because it just doesn't interest him. I can't get him to sit down for more than 2-3 min. He will stop and look at a commercial once in a while, but he doesn't insist we watch certain shows. I have a friend whose children go to bed watching tv and wake up watching tv, she has a tv in their room programmed to turn on and off at a certain time..they always want tv and I think that is a little much..they have never had their tv viewing controlled.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 3:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010