how on earth are anatomically correct names for body parts and acknowledging the mere existence of gays "indoctrination"?

this is a spin off from the Montana proposed sex ed curriculum question. I can't understand why people are so threatened by correct names for body parts, and regardless of how you feel about it, there are gay people in the world, what's wrong with your kid knowing they exist? you can tell them you think its wrong, but they should be told about reality.

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 1:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you! My daughter is 1 1/2 and as creepy as it sounds she knows that boys have penis' and girls have vagina's. I plan on being very open with her on "why are those two boys kissing each other." and I think it is silly to make it seem bad by ignoring it or saying it is something that it is not.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have no idea... I don't understand WHY the human body, it's proper functions and names, are such Taboo subjects in this country... Frankly, it's shameful that people are so afraid of nature... The human body is natural and far from something which should be hidden away or dirty - yet we refuse to teach our children even the proper terms and then when they have bad body image we act shocked... Amazing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Because if you're a pedophile, you don't want to encounter children who know the correct names and function of those parts. It's very, very difficult to snow a child who already knows, particularly compared to a child who doesn't have a clue...

I can't imagine not telling my kids the parts and function of their own bodies --from mucus membranes to urethras: it's THEIR body and at some point they're going to have to figure out how to take care of it and how to tell if there is something wrong. Without basic body information, how would they know if this or that was normal or diseased?

I think the funniest part about homophobic education philosophy is that they not only have to skip over the reality of gay humans, they have to block access to basic biology: gay, necrophiliac and interspecies sexual behaviour among MOST mammals. Horses doin' it to cows and goats, dogs doin' it to cats, gay raccoons and gorillas...ha ha!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I also agree. A few months back my now 19 month old was learning about body parts. My husband was a little shocked that I taught her the words "butt" and "boobies" (I know...not the proper name, but breasts would be very difficult for her to say). Every week we add a new body part for her to name. I think its silly to avoid certain body parts. If you approach it as no big deal, they won't make a big deal about it. And when they are old enough to understand the difference between private body parts and other body parts then they'll get that, too. And without feeling shame. I think for older kids, knowing and using the proper names for body parts empowers them to talk about the changes their bodies are going through in a more educated and informed manner.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 1:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't think it sounds creepy, but then I'm not much of a fan of baby talk.

I just wonder about the person who called this "indoctrination". what gain is there in acknowledging that gays exist, or not refering to body parts in cutesy made up name.
    autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010