9mth old who possibly has milk allergies?

Don't think want to do Rice M least not until she's about 3 so she can eat other stuff to make up for the lack of fat. Can you give a baby hyop formula until she's 2 or 3? Almond M out of the question it's source is a nut, i'm not going there till she at least 5. Hemp know nothing about. As a side note i'm nursing right now plan to quite at year or at least start to wean her. Anyone gearing up to give me flack about that please spare your fingers the energy of typing. My body dying i'm so tired and worn out without milk, she's not an easy nurser she nurses in tiny snacks all day. Refuses to eat in public b/c she's nosey! just want my body to feel normal again! Have a period, and possibly think about having another baby who i hope and pray doesn't have this problem. so that's it i guess! :)

MommaoflittleZ

Asked by MommaoflittleZ at 9:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You should be able to add Rice milk to her diet at age 1 safely. At age one she can eat just about anything you eat, that means you can add the fat to her diet she needs. Its best to avoid the formula all together if shes allergic to milk. Nurse as much as she is willing to nurse and offer often until 12months, then give rice milk instead of cows milk or soy milk or whatever. NO FORMULA! She can outgrow the milk allergy too, since its a protein thing, give it time. But nurse until age 1, then give fortified rice milk.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If she has milk allergies, you need to speak to her doctor. They will advise you of what to do. I wouldn't go ahead with anything without a doctor's advice. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• So are you wondering about adding milk to your diet or what to put her on once she's weaned? For you, YOU can drink any of the milks you mentioned. For her, you can do soy, Lactaid, or Goat's milk.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• First thing you need to do is discuss her allergy and what to do for nutrition with her Dr.

My daughter is almost 10 mths old and is also dairy intolerant. I, however, will have no problems giving her rice milk or soy milk in place of regular milk at a year. Also, on the advice of her Dr., after I wean (still BFing too) I will give her the toddler formulas to help make up for what she is not getting from milk.

Contrary to popular belief, milk is not acutally that nutritious. You can find much more of the vitamins, minerals, and fats that are found in milk in lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, and beans.

If you are truely that concerned about her not getting enough nutrition from not having milk, talk to her Dr. about giving a daily vitamin.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My daughter was lactoes and she could have no formulas and the doctor put her on goats milk until she was older now she is 7 yrs old and she has no milk allergies
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 10:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• In regards to a previous poster, she's correct in saying milk itself isn't all that nutritious. While our bodies do need calcium, it can be found in other sources such as cheese, yogurt, broccili and other foods. Did you know that humans are the only mammal to consume another mammal's milk?
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 6:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Dont ask your doctor...ask a nutritionist..most doctors no nothing about nutrition.

Not sure what you are asking but I totally understand what you mean about the nursing...going through that right now with my son who is 11 months...its quite frustrating and draining.

What do you want the milk for?

What about coconut milk from a fresh coconut?

I have been feeding my son fruits and greens and hes doing good.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• BTW Fruits and greens give you all the nutritients you need....
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008