Do you think gay couples should be able to adopt?? Or raise kids in general??

I asked a question yesterday about being for or against gay marriage and one response was that someone agreed as long as no children are involved...
Why would this make a difference??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My view: If 2 people love a child unconditionally, can support this child through everything, can raise this child to be a good person, then YES they can! Who are we to judge?
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 1:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• as long as they are good parents who love each other and the child. research shows that gay couple are no worse or better parents than straight couples. sexual orientation should not be determining factor in adoptions.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 1:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I can't think of a single reason why a gay person/gay couple shouldn't do those things if they want to.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think they should be able to adopt and raise children.. What does their sexual orientation have to do with it! I have seen plenty of straight couples that suck at parenting.. & then I've seen gay couples that do a wonderful job with children.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Of course. Just because they are Gay doesn't mean they can't love. Children need love and care, to deny a child those things simply because the parents are Gay is just sick... Good parents come in all shapes, sizes, colors, lifestyles and sexualities...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, yes, and yes...I agree with the other posters. As long as they can love the child and support them and aren't abusive, I absolutely believe they should be able to. I fully believe that being gay is not a choice and therefore the argument that being gay is based on nurture rather then nature is null and void IMO.

There are plenty of straight people that shouldn't be allowed to raise kids, though! There are also, I'm sure, plenty of gay people that shouldn't either, but it shouldn't be based on their sexuality...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• ay... if you think that moms bash other moms for formula feeding, and for what kind of carseat they put their kids in, and for how they chose to have their kids (epidural), and they are going to leave gay ppl alone, you have bigger issues to worry about, like being delusional... lol... I say be a good parent, love your kids unconditionally, fall in love with who you want, and live happy!
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My BIL'swife left him and left their child with him too. He raised her since she was a baby. He fell in love with his partner and they are raising her together now.. She is a very polite, well balanced child. They are kind loving people, and are out for her best interest.

And apparantly it is okay for gays to adopt or the state wouldn't allow it....it's already happening.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think that EVERYONE has a right to have a child or children, so long as they will be fit parents. By that, I mean that they have no serious conditions that would prevent them from being a good parent, and they can make it through any basic evaluation that may be important for the adoption process (like seeing if they seem to be mentally stable, financially secure enough, etc.). I do not think that race, sexuality, religion, etc. should have anything to do with whether or not a couple can have children.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• absolutely, they can love a child the same as a heterosexual couple could. it's not like being gay would make a gay child, if that were the case then being straight would only bring straight kids, and we all know where they come from. who cares?!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010