why do I have trouble breathing onlyu at night when I am trying to sleep?

When I lay down to go to bed at night most nights I have trouble breathing. I sleep with 3-4 pillows cause I can't sleep with less than that and then I have a pillow between my arms to help me a little bit. But the thing is sometimes I will fall asleep on the couch when my 5 year old is in school and my 2 year old is a sleep and I don't have trouble breathing, but I do at night when I go to doze off. If I am laying down I don't either, but when I go to bed at night (I have even tried the couch at night as well since I don't have that problem during the day it doesn't work) I will wake up catching my breath cause it is almost like I forgot to breath and sometimes I can't swollow at first and have to sit straight up to breath again. What is this from? It is only at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• OP ... Changes in your body can bring it on. My hubby has but he didn't have it until an accident at work where he inhaled some powdered chemicals and almost died.

Just talk to your doctor and ask for a sleep study. Even if it's NOT sleep apnea, the sleep study will help determine what is going on with your body while you're sleeping. Good luck. I hope everything works out for the best.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Idk ive been having the same problem i have to put a fan on me at night and bundle up really good to be able to breath ive been thinking of buying some of the breath right stripes
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 1:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's weird.

You could volunteer for a sleep study, then you'd have someone else looking who probably has some idea what's happening.

If you're very heavy, it might just be that the amount you're relaxing when you're going to sleep allows too much weight to fall on your upper chest... or it may be that your mattress is too soft to support you properly. Positional asphixiation is a killer.

It may just be uncoordinated breathing. People learn all kinds of weird things over the years, and you may have accidentally learned some strange breathing pattern while you're sleeping.

It may help to only breathe through your nose while you're asleep, which you can learn to do in a few days if you want to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

I do sleep with the fan on me since DH has to have it on all year round lol. We even sleep with the AC on sometimes. I don't have a cold or anything like that and nose isn't stuffed up either
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• LindaClement

I am bnot heavy or over weight. I haven't ever had a problem with that. And the mattress isn't really that soft lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would suggest a sleep study. It sounds like you have sleep apnea. Which is when you stop breathing while sleeping. Talk to your doctor and explain what's going on. You will probably need either a bi-pap or a cpap machine for when you sleep.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

You can just all the sudden get that? I haven't ever had a problem before with breathing. I didn't have these problems actually until after my second baby and I was leaking spinal fluid and had to have blood patches (2). I wouldn't think it would be from that though, but that is when this started.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010