What DR. should I see?

A few months ago I went to my gyno. In Jan. I noticed my underarm was swelling. At first I thought maybe I was getting a sick and my lymph nodes were just swollen. Well ever since then the my underarm stays swollen. So in Aug. I decided it was time to get checked out. I went to my gyno and he did not feel any lumps in my breast and did not think my nodes were swollen. He gave me diuretics, which ended up making me sick! Well here it is, Oct. the swelling is still present and occasionally my underarm hurts. I even have swelling going down toward my ribs and above my armpit. I've also noticed that several lymph nodes in my arm pit tend to hurt pretty often. I haven't been sick and I have limited my caffine. I guess what I want to know is who should I see? Go back to the gyno or go see my general doc? And if any one here has experience anything similar some insight would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• I'd go to the general doc and not the gyno since it's not related to your female stuff gynos check.
    Anonymous

• I'd see the general. The gyno seems to have dismissed it and is not concerned. You are. Follow your heart and get seen asap!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• go to your GP.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• First of all, dont give up. Keep going to different doctors until one of them knows or at least ACTS like they know what in the world is going on. BTW, not to totally freak you out, but breast cancer lumps are often found in the armpit too. Every time I went to my OB, they did a breast exam and she was a woman. The only one that ever felt a lump and sent me for a mamogram was my MALE general practitioner. Get a second and a third opinion. If you talk to most cancer survivors, you will find that they had an uphill climb to their diagnosis too. Many spent several months to years trying to get to the bottom of nodes in their neck, swollen glands, odd feelings and such. Get yourself checked!! Good luck, I hope it all goes well.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 9:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Also check out : webmd.com
    They have a symptom finder. add in your particulars (ie, female, age) then check off what location (ie. arm/armpit) and then add in all of your symptoms. ALL OF THEM. Have you had any fevers with the lumps, pain, etc. It will then give you a list of possibilities. This can be printed out and taken with you to the doctors. Sometimes the docs need a kick in the pants and a bit more info to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 10:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• GP, some blood work will easily tell if you have an infection. GP's are there to narrow this stuff down and then refer to a specialist if it is beyond their scope of practice. Hope you feel better soon.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would see an internal medicine doctor first than they can refer you to maybe oncology dept,if needed.
    Anonymous