can a 5 year old have depression? And is it gentic? I have depression and my biological fathers whole side of the family has depression.

She has been like this since 4 or 4.5, but it is getting worse so I am going to make her an appointment to be seen by the doctor when she gets her flu shot. She cries over everything. For example: the other day she asked if she can get her blocks from outside i said yes. DH asked nicely not yelling nothing, but asked what she was doing she started crying and wouldn't get them. Then the other day my DS and BIL went to gt something for dinner and took her they asked if she wanted hamburg or chicken nuggets she said hamburg then they asked if she wanted fries or apples they asked 3 times she didn't answer so they said apples and then she started crying because she wanted fries. You can't joke around with her what so ever or she will cry. You play around with her she cries. You can't say anything to her without her crying either. The other day she gets out of the van crying and we don't know why she was crying. CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe it's genetic. Take her to see a pediatric psychiatrist and explain our worries.
    When I was 5 I remember wanting to die because how my own parents treated me and let me be molested and didnt do a damn thing about it. I wrote it down on up in my closet where I use to hide. I forgot about ti but then when I was moving when I got older I discovered. It's very possible. I hope she's does better. Good Luck.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• sounds like you are being proactive. depression is characterize by a chemical imbalance in the brain. it can be environmentally induced or genetically inherited. there are many types of depression, so seeing a medical prefessional sounds well thought out. contrary to popular belief depression does not, in most cases, need to be treated with meds. i would seek out play therapy, or cognitive behavioral therapy to even simple talk therapy with a trained and licensed child therapist.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, it's called childhood-onset depression but it also sounds like over-sensitivity and anxiety to me. I had this as a child, but I grew up in a very volatile home. Has she experienced any traumatic events? Anything that would make her anxious or scared about how others respond to her?

I would maybe try to find a child psychologist for her to work with...but I would be hesitant about medications at this age. Therapy should be enough to help her work through it.

moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• if you ask her why she is crying she says she doesn't know
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think it's genetic, too. My dad has severe clinical depression and so do I. There is a history of mental illness on my dad's side (my one cousin is schizophrenic and I believe my uncle was bi-polar).  I worry about my kids.

I know I've been depressed since I was at least 8 or 9.  At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me just that I felt "bad" all the time and didn't seem like the other kids I played with.  By 12 I understood what was wrong with me but my parents never did anything to help me because they thought it was just hormones.  I suffered for 20+ years dealing with it on my own.  I would definitely seek help for her.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

No traumatic events. Nothing she should be scared of.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010