What do you do when a Grandmother goes to far?

MVAI04

Asked by MVAI04 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• about what? can we have some more details?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• too far how?
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree need more info
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• tell her to come back?
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Mine went too far when she started making bad comments about my new infant son because she didn't like his father. I went several months not talking to her and decided it was easier to forgive her because she's old and grew up differently than I did. I acepted the fact that she's just a bit crusty around the edges and not to talk about sensitive personal things with her anymore!
    Grandmas are weird that way!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 10:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• HAAAAAAAAAAA teri4lance
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Are we talking about your mother or mil? If it's your mother, gather up your courage and tell her "how the cow ate the cabbage." It took a while before I could talk back to my father (lost my mother as a child), but we have a good relationship. Even parents realize they're human and can make mistakes. They have to realize that their children are their own people and have to live their own lives whether everyone agrees with each other or not. You may just have to put your foot down for your own good as well as you family's.

Good luck. This won't be easy...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm a grandmother. What did I do NOW? LOL I am one that believes in honesty. If I go too far my children don't have a problem telling me. Set boundaries. That's a must. It's your life and as long as you are not abusing or neglecting your child/ren then she needs to respect that. We're old. We had our chance rearing our children. It's your turn now. Just don't forget that sometimes we as old ppl still just want to be valued. Some of us mean no harm.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• admckenzie, JMO, but I don't think the OP meant any offense. I had mil problems myself, and there's times when the older generation disagrees violently with the younger. You probably have seen and experienced it for yourself. I was one that had a problem with "setting boundaries" because I was taught to respect my elders, and therefore, it was hard to learn to stand up to them. This lady could be facing the same thing...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• No, My mother adopted me when i was 5YR old. She never made me feel like like i belonged anywhere. I she left me when i was about 16. She said she wanted to be closer to her friend(which lived in another state) She always told me i would never amount to anything. I got pergnat at 18. I was still in high school. I grauated. But now that i have my little she as goten worse. She says i am a bad mother and i am not. Mo matter what my kids have every thing. She has called cps on me and made story up(she has called them 6 times) I met some one that takes care of 2 kids that are not his. Treats them like they are his own. She is mean to my stepson calls him name tells that she dosen't like him or his dad. Took me to court for the grand parents rights. She was see on the regular more than the court says to do. I am tired of being nice. My daughter told me her papa was touching her. I told her she dose not belive me.

MVAI04

Answer by MVAI04 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2008