What do you do when you feel that your mom loves one child more than the other?

My mom says little things that make me believe she loves one more than the other. She was an active participant in helping with my eldest child (6) but we moved 21 hrs aways and she's only spent time time with my baby for 10 days! (my hubby is in the army) She always said before i got preggo with my baby that Ari (my eldest) would always be her favorite. Im only child and so is she and Im thinking maybe she doesnt understand what it is like to love two kids at the same time. She is recovering from breast cancer so I dont want to be mean but sometimes it hurts my feelings about some of the things she says. How do you all suggest I approach it?

dseay

Asked by dseay at 1:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• my mom only loves my brother. she's told my sisters and me straight to our faces that she doesn't love us and that her cats mean more to her than we do. all we've ever done is try to please her and make her happy but it's never good enough so all of us are done with her and my 16 year old brother is pissed at her for what she did to us and will leave her also. i hope she's happy when she has no one but she did that to herself. we tried too many times to be there for her
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Of course she feels more connected to the child she's spent more time with! Just give it time.
    (and if time doesn't help? remember that you can't change or control the way another person feels)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I jst wish she wouldnt compare the two all the time! it gets old!
    dseay

Comment by dseay (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There is not much you can do in this case because you can't control how other people feel. You can only control how you are with them. Maybe she needs time though since she didn't exactly spent that much time with your second. I don't think you can say anything to her... maybe she doesn't even realize she's doing it and with time maybe she will change.... good luck.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 4:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010