Since it seems my two year old is giving up his naps :( how long should quiet time be?

and from what time to what time? should I totally give up on giving him naps? Sometimes it even takes him a while to fall asleep so how do I know when to quit?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do it right after lunch that way he knows to expect quiet time and set a timer to 45 minutes that way it is a signal for him that the time is up
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My DD is almost 2 1/2 and she knows that once lunch is over with then she needs to go in her bed and lay her body down. I keep her in for an hour as long as she is calm and quiet, if she falls asleep then great but if not she needs to be quite and calm and laying down.
    So i would say an hour.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• None of my kids quit cold turkey! I would put them down for a nap and after 30 minutes or so, let them get up. After 2 or 3 days, they would usually fall asleep for a couple days, and then go back to getting up and playing. Once naps are completely over, I would have them rest for about an hour.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i pray that this isn't the end of his naps b/c my newborn is JUST starting to get into his routine. he just started fighting it hard and we have to keep going in his room and telling him to stop beating on the walls, talking loud, etc. I am going to keep at it b/c I dont sleep at night and could use a short snooze during the day! :)
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My 2 year doesn't always want to nap either lately... we have quiet time for about 1-1.5 hours... if I don't think he's going to sleep then we lay together on my bed and watch a movie or sometimes we read books and sing songs.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• try 1/2 hour or so after lunch
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• try for a half hour to an hour after lunch for quiet time.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010