How long did it take for your breast milk to dry up? I heard it takes about a couple of weeks. Did you do anything special to speed up the drying up of your milk? adult content

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 1:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dr put me on birth control to dry up my milk, but I had been done breast feeding for a year and my right one started lactating again.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My sons weaned so gradually that by the time they were totally finished nursing, I really didn't have much milk left. I never felt full after that and I never noticed any milk a few days after they nursed for the last time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I had milk for almost 2 years after she weaned. I quit leaking after about 3 weeks and didn't feel engorged but the milk was still there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You shouldn't have to do anything to "dry it up". If you weaned slowly enough, you should not be in pain. You may still have milk, but it shouldn't cause any pain. If you're in pain, wean much more slowly.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• With my first baby, I stopped cold turkey. I had no idea what I was doing. It took about 2 months. With my younger 2 I weaned very slowly, down to 1 feeding a day. It just stopped when I stopped nursing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Illness and medication dried it up before I weaned my daughter. With my son, I gradually weaned him, so I didn't notice any milk after I stopped.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's been almost a year since I breast feed and I still leak
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• With both mine. I still leaked when we got pregnant 3 yrs later. It is different for everyone.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I see from a previous question that you are weaning under the advice of your OBGYN and a LC at a peds office? PLEASE get more opinions! You don't know that that LC knows what she's talking about. Check with kellymom, dr sears or dr newman. Ask an anon question here or PM one of the admins for the breastfeeding moms group. There aren't many issues that require weaning so early.

If you really do absolutely need to wean... go SLOWLY! Pump and wean from the pump if you have to.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm the oddball. I nursed for a month. Stopped cold turkey and immediately stopped leaking and never had an issues and no more milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010