Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you give your vehicle away?

My DH and I are trying to surprise my sister by giving her my DHs old Jeep. We have never sold a vehicle or given one away so we have some questions. If we give it away and give her the title to it then can she get it registered in her name without us? Or do we have to be there? Can we claim it in our taxes or anything? Is there anything that I should know before I give it to her?

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs.Pedro at 1:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 4 (40 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • As far as giving it to her, you can sign the title over to her. Depending on your state, you may have to have a bill of sale (even though it will be a gift). As far as taxes go, I would check with a CPA on that. My parents just recently inherited some money and they paid off my vehicle. They will get a tax break from that but I won't have to pay taxes because it was under $12,000. The best thing to do is speak with your accountant (not someone from H&R block or other tax service place).


    Answer by JeremysMom at 1:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You have to sign a "gifting" form...not sure what they call it in your state..but you can get one at the DMV. And, no, you cant claim it on taxes unless your sister is also a not-for-profit charity lol

    Answer by lisa89j at 1:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • In FL, you can take the title and your sister down to the tag office and you can sign the title over to her and write that she paid $1 for it. You can't write it off on your taxes though unless you give it to a charity.

    Answer by slw123 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You can give it away you just have to sign the tile. Once you sign it over you don't have to be there for her to be able to register it. I know in MA if you document it as a gift the person doesn't have to pay tax when they go to register it. I think they only time you can claim it on taxes is if you donate it to a non-profit company. Check with your state DMV.

    Answer by Cassandre at 3:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Sign off of the title and you can put as low of price as you want. Since it is a relative, taxes may be waved and if not then $100, $1,000 max would not be out of line. She should be able to register the jeep on her own. If there is a lean on it they will also have to sign off on the title. Wow, lucky sis!!!

    Answer by marchar2002 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You might want to call the local DMV and ask them. I'm sure this sort of thing varies from state to state.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • i have done this before. On the title it has always had a space for how much owner is selling for; you would put "gift/$0" there. I have also always written up a bill of "sale" Saying: To whom it may concern. I, my name, am giving, "other parties name" a "year make and model of car" with a Vin of____. This is a gift, and no money has been exchanged for said vehicle. Then sign at the bottom.

    Answer by mama2three717 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.