What do you do about sibling rivalry that has carried over into motherhood (i.e. spying on my child's room decor only to TRY to replicate it)?

Asked by Momgul at 1:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Oh wow.. thats crazy.. I would just cut ties with her if she's gonna be a nut!

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'd wonder if it was really worth having a battle over?

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• wow thats really childish. i'm still a teen but even i noe better than that. maybe you should talk to her and tell her how u feel bout things?

Answer by lilyoungmom2b at 2:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with 'peanutsmommy1' but also I would wonder if it really is worth the effort of getting angry or caring what she dose. She replicates your sons room then so be it, its not going to hurt you it just shows how uncreative and unimaginative she is. Every time it angers you look at it for what it is, it doesn't exactly reflect greatly upon her and who she is.

Answer by AugustMidge at 2:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't go out of my way to spend a lot of time with a sibling that was still that petty and competitive. I would stay out of the head games. Who cares if she copies your decorating style? She can only turn things into a competition if you keep competing too.

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• 1-800-4HITMEN

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• why do you assume your sister is copying you? if your child likes the decor (the decor is for the child right?) then why wouldn't your child's cousin?
    imitation is the greatest form of flattery, isn't it?
    what is the decor? princesses? dora? just curious now!
    it wouldn't bother me at all. my kids all love their cousins, and their cousins love them. i think they would all like the same rooms!

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I not only see the replication of my child's room but also in other parts of her house and other material possessions. Its sad that she is this way and at first, I gave her the benefit of the doubt, even thought of it as being flattering. Now, it has become utterly annoying. We dont spend a lot of time together as it is but now, I'm thinking about ending the relationship completely.

Comment by Momgul (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• She must be missing a screw or two...that is just weird and a bit obsessive don't ya think? I guess all you can do is ignore her and do your best to keep her at a distance for a while. Good luck momma!

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Talk to her like an adult and ask her why she insists on copying what I'm doing. Let her know that if she needs or wants help with decorating, that I'd be more than happy to help. I'd also tell her that copying exactly what I'm doing is rude.

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010