Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Opinons on child stepdaughter.

My husband has never been allowed to see his daughter who is turning 13 in two days. Last year he was finally able to see her and tell her that he was her dad. Her mother will not let him anywhere near her. She cheated on her boyfriend when she was 16 with my husband who was 17. She got pregnant and told her boyfriend it was rape so her boyfriend married her. There was a paternity test and he is the father and no court has ever declared any kind of visitation or non visitation. She keeps her locked up and when she knows we are in town she won't let her daughter go anywhere. DH just wants to visit her..anywhere even at her mothers house. We live 900 miles away and would never want her to move out of the state she is in now. Why is the mother being unreasonable? We have been trying for ten years to visit this child and she won't give us anything. DH never did anything wrong and never was allowed to see her, even as a newborn.


Asked by ashisamom at 2:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 25 (23,819 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Get an attorney in the state where the daughter is. Your husband has rights.

    Answer by CometGirl at 1:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • You need an attorney or just try to file custody and child support papers on your own. What state is she in? That state would have jurisdiction. Im sorry she is being controlled by her mother. It may be PAS also. I hope your husband can try to build a relationship with his daughter :)

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • I should also add that his daughter has our phone number and calls us whenever she gets away from her mother and talks to my husband. She really wants a relationship with him but is scared to tell her mother this.

    Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • So, go to court and ask for visitation...tell them what the mom is doing.

    Answer by youngmm at 2:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • I don't know how to go about doing that as we are in a different state. Do you have any ideas about how to start this process?

    Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You need to see a lawyer, and go to court....he should have done that as soon as he had a paternity test, she wouldn't have been allowed to deny him his rights to her. Does he pay child support?

    Answer by ohwrite at 2:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • you have to get an attorney who can file in her state and work for your DH's rights!

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • He has always paid his child support when the mother has been on welfare and he pays it to the state. Otherwise she wont accept the money. He was 17 when she was born and didn't know what to do. I didn't really think there was anything we could do until last year and we don't have enough money for a lawyer. I am going to see if we can file in Maine by mail and drive up there for court.

    Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010