Does anyone elses dog eat small rocks/pebbles?

Werid I know, but here lately thats what she has been doing??Crazy dog

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pets

• That's the first thing our puppy did when we brought him home, so we named him Dozer. The only way we could break him was buying toys for him to chew on and distracting him. I've heard that they do that when they are vitamin or mineral deficient. It's supposedly a common habit of strays due to malnutrition and leads to breakage or wearing of the teeth. I'm sure your dog is proabably not starving, lol, but if some chew toys don't distract her it might be worth mentioning to the vet, if just for dental purposes.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• if they are all small she can pass them, but i have a friend that is a vet, and she tells me the horror stories, and one day a cocker was brought in and she had over ten lbs of rocks in her belly, they had to be surgically removed..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Dogs can actually crush most small rocks with their teeth so you may never see them come out the other end as rocks. We had a dog who would eat rocks and I'm sure he would have ate a whole parking lot if he had had the opportunity. He loved to eat ice cubes and snow. He once ate a $10 bill but we later saw that! LOL

We never gave him the rag toys because dogs can break the strings and swallow them. The strings get caught around their intestines and have to be surgically removed. Frisbees & tennis balls are fun.

I believe that some dogs just don't know the difference between dry dog food and rocks! If you buy a bag of dog food that is bland and odorless, you can crush a boullion cube or use boullion crystals and sprinkle it over the dog food. That will help to keep them from eating rocks too.
    DissieDothe

Answer by DissieDothe at 12:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• OMG! I have two labs. They eat anything and everything! I find chunks of concrete that they must find buried out in our yard. They drag them inside and I find them eating them. I can't believe either of them has never broken a tooth. I found my male eating a nail once!!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 12:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes my Pug does this all the time.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A good family friend had to have their Aerdale (sp) put down because of a rock eating problem. He had to have multiple surgeries to have some of the larger ones he graduated to taken out. I would talk you the vet. It can at times be a neurotic thing...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008