Homemade costumes?

My 6 yr old is going as a witch this yr for Halloween. We have a hat that has hair attatched that was 2 dollars, but that's all so far. I'm not really sure what to dress my 17 month old daughter in. I need some ideas. We are on a VERY tight budget and I can't justify spending 40 or more on costumes that my kids will wear for a couple hours while that money could have been spent on bills or Christmas. So does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

ashleys2girls

Asked by ashleys2girls at 2:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• does she have any long black skirts or any longer skirt would work..What about black boots? She can even wear one of your skirts that you pin on.

You can put them both in cardboard boxes that have been spray painted white. Put black dots on them to make them look like dice andthey can be a pair of dice.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Second hand and thrift stores are a great source of low-priced, often never-worn, costumes...and traditional things to make costumes at home out of. When I was a kid, no one had made costumes --they were all 'a sheet = ghost' or 'dad's work clothes = hobo' or 'yarn hair and colourful clothes = clown'...

Look for a black dress, black shoes and black tights and your 'witch' costume could cost you from no more than the $2 you already spent to nearly $10.

Ask around to borrow other people's costumes. Because I made my kids' costumes from scratch, we always had a huge dressup box to share from.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• For a witch - look in your closet. She just needs a black dress. It can be a shirt of yours with a belt. Lacy would be good, think Stevie Nicks. Then she has to have striped tights, she'll wear those again. Draw on a wart. You don't need to spend anywhere near $40 for costumes. Look at Old Navy. And they go on sale the closer to the holiday it gets. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• go to dollar tree and get the wings and shoe set and make up her face up you might be out of $6.00
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010