How do you handle two year old tantrums?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I ignore them. Them them bout on their own.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i iqnore them or have him sit in his room until he calms down.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 2:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• After I can't ignore it any longer, I must admist, I yell at my son. I try my best to ignore it, I walk into another room...but he follows me LOL He is VERY persistant I must say, wonder where he gets that....couldn't be that mommy and daddy don't give up and are pests as well.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I try my best to avoid them getting to that point, it seems simpler. If I'm going to give in and let them have something or do something, I give in right away so they don't learn that screaming and flailing around 'works' to get your own way... I pay attention to their hunger and thirst cues, so they're fed and watered regularly. I watch them for signs that they're getting frustrated or overwhelmed and change gears or activities, or pull them into my lap to give them a break...

If the tantrum happens, depending on the child, I either sit as calmly as I can with them on my lap, holding them so they don't hurt me or themsevelves, or leave them thrashing and screaming wherever they are, making sure to take anything they could damage or hurt themselves with out of the way. Some kids are further overwhelmed by touch, while others are overwhelmed by being left alone.

It helps to know your child.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ignore it, for the most part. If he carries on he goes to his room to chill out for a little bit.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i look at him and explane what hes doing and why it isnt going to work and tell him if he continus to act up he will lose movie time {he loves disney movies} or he wont get stickers..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 9:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010