what do you think of public schools having an English as a second language aid?

My sons class has an aid for just one child that does not speak English. The mom can speak English because I have met her at the school but she wants her child to speak spanish so they have a special aid in the class for him to understand what is going on. This district is lacking in many other places and I feel that the money spend on this aid could be better used elsewhere and if the mom wants her son to only speak spanish she should send him to a school where english is the second language (they do have them in this area). From talking to the PTA i am not the only parent with this concern so it is going to be brought up to the district in the next budget meeting, but I was wondering what other veiws on this were?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our public schools have cut all elementary art programs, elementary gifted programs and elementary Spanish programs (teaching Spanish to English speakers) so that they can have more ESL aids and teachers. It's a terrible way to allot funding in my opinion and one of the reasons we now home school our kids.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Hmmm, I don't think it's right that he doesn't have to learn any english. My niece is a ESL (english as a second language) teacher. She teaches in a charter school that is has a lot of Mexican children. The kids go in not knowing or speaking much english, but she teaches only in english and they come out understanding and speaking more english than going in. They don't cater to them by teaching only in spanish. She will speak to them in spanish only when necessary, but then repeats herself in english. When she first started teaching ESL she didn't even speak spanish. She learned just as much from the kids as they learned from her. But I think if the parent doesn't want her child learning english then she needs to send her child to the school that will cater to her desires and not expect the school district to pick up the tab for her desires.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i disagree with it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't agree with that at all.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That doesn't sound right.  The schools where I used to live had classes for the non-English speakers to help them learn faster but they were still mainstreamed for most of their subjects even when they didn't speak English at all (I always felt bad for those kids because it must be so confusing when you don't understand anything that anyone is saying) but they say they learn faster being immersed.  We lived in a neighborhood that was mostly Hispanic so almost everyone spoke Spanish.

I can't see having an aide for just 1 single kid in the class that doesn't speak English.  He should be taking extra ESL classes to learn English.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is a waste of money. I could go on for volumes, but I will leave it at that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010