How many chores do your school aged children have to do? And what is fair for them to have to do?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is in pre-k he cleans his room, geeds the guinee pig, wipes the kitchen table/counters and helps put groceries away. He will get one more chore for every year. When he turns five in february we are adding another but we are stuck on which one to add. Hubby wants to add the bathroom trash but i think that is to unsanitary for a 5 year old, I was thinking just adding the living room tables to his table chores
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Keeping their room reasonably clean, putting clean laundry away, feeding/walking/watering pets, setting/unsetting the table, vacuuming, garbage, raking, snow shoveling, putting away toys, dusting, washing dishes, loading dishwasher.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids had them BEFORE school age...and as they mature and grow and I feel that they can handle more...I add too their lists.

Its not a question of "is it fair" its just part of being in a family and contributing to a family. If you want to talk about being fair...then I consider it unjust to handicap your kids into thinking the house stays clean magically and other people just do things for them forever. It is more FAIR to teach them responsibility and how to live and be independent...THAT is fair to me!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There bedroom, dishes, bathrooms we have 2, the basement area were the watch TV and play
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son isn't school age yet, but when he does get there than he will be responsible for making his bed and cleaning up his toys. I will probably also have him help with setting the table for dinner and helping with dishes. As he gets older he will have to pick up doing more chores like cleaning his bathroom and helping with yard work.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 2:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• THANK YOU LADIES FOR THE HELP..I HAVE 4 WONDERFUL/MESSY KIDS..LOL...My 10 yr old daughter and my 9 yr old daughter seem to always get out of there chores..by fighting..making excuses and then i end up doing them..my oldest son who is 13 never complains'(at least not to me)lol...and does what he's asked..my 5 yr old will pick up his toys ..my daughter's on the other hand will tell me how it's not fair that they have to do this or that..sometime's i just get so frusterated its easier to do it myself....
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010