If the Bible says that God's name is Jehovah, why do we use Titles like Lord?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree with Gal51, in the original hebrew the nameYHWH appears over 7,000 times. in English the common rendering of that name is Jehovah. There are at least two main reasons why the name has been left out. One reason is that people are unsure of what the original way to pronounce it is, and the second came from a long standing tradition of the Jews. Many held that God's name should never be pronounced. The belief came from the bible law that states: " You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way." Exodus 20:7 The law forbids the misuse of God's name. The was another reason I had heard about it being superstitious but I have to do a little more research abouth that one.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A title and a name are two separate things ... My name is "Emma" but my title is mom, sister, daughter, etc. The word "Lord" is a title indicative of "master." When we say "Lord" it is a way of indicating our humility, submission, and servant-hood UNDER Jehovah, YHWH, what-have-you.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• God's name in the Old Testement has been translated as Yahweh or Jehovah by some (Yahweh is the more accepted answer by most Christians, I believe)......But historically, God's name was so Holy that it was never said except for one day out of the year by the High Priest in the Most Holy of Holy Rooms in the Temple and then it was whispered by him....All other times he was referred to by a title such as Lord...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Because God has many names.
    Immanuel - Isaiah 7:14
    I AM - John 8:58
    High Priest - Hebrews 3:1
    Good Shepherd - John 10:11
    Creator - 1 Peter 4:19
    etc..
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 3:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Gods name was considered very sacred, it was not to be written where it could be destroyed, and it wasn't to be said outside of the temple, so people would called God Adonai, which means Lord, among other things, so calling God Lord probably continued on when the bible was translated.

Not to mention that Jehovah is debated whether or not it was a translation error, many believe it is Yahweh, but truly the real pronunciation of YHWH has probably been lost forever.

Plum419

Answer by Plum419 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think the name "Jehovah" is actually a result of ignorance about the Hebrew language, which the Bible is originally written in. The Hebrew language doesn't have vocals per se, as letters. Vocals are written as signs under the consonants. Native Hebrew speakers by now don't even need "vocals" and many texts come without those signs. That's how this particular name is written in the OT- without vocals. So the actual translation would be YHWH. As that is unpronounceable, certain translations have attempted to add vocals to it, hence the terms "yahweh", "Jehova", etc. But this are inaccurate. When we Jews encounter that particular name of G-d, that's when we use the term "Hashem", the actual name we use during prayer I prefer not to write colloquially.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• John 17:26: “[Jesus prayed to his Father:] I have made your name known to them [his followers] and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”
    Acts 15:14: “Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.”
    Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 3:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Since God's isn't a person the notion of "name" doesn't have the same meaning as it does for actual people.

There are hundreds of words to describe the concept of god.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The preface of the Revised Standard Version says “...(1) the word ‘Jehovah’ does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew; and (2) the use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom he had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.”
    SO, their own view of what is appropriate has been relied on as the basis for removing God's personal name (a name which appears in the original Hebrew more often than any other name or any title). They admit to following the example of the adherents of Judaism, of whom Jesus said: “You have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition.” - Matt.15:6.

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 3:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• God has many different names, each indicative of some specific part of His nature and/or His provision for His children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010