How many of you always said..my kids will never act like that?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• oh. my. goodness. YES!!!!! When I was pregnant with my son I always said "I will NEVER tolerate that behavior from my children." or as you said "My kids will NEVER act like that." Well...he is now 4 years old and let's see.....he's thrown a fit over a toy, made me leave the store....and has had multiple time outs in Wal-Mart! I will never judge another mother again!
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I love how some parents say their teenager could never get pregnant because they are so balanced, and have been tought so well, and are too smart for that. I'm sure my mom said all those things, and I did. So I never say never. Life has a funny way of throwing us a curveball when we think we have it figured out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Bluesdawg
    I felt the same way before I had children. Then I had a child with autism. Now I say "I'd never act like that" about the adults who comment rudely on my child's behavior. Sometimes, there is more to it than just tantruming because they can't have a toy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Wishful thinking.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Oh, tantrums do not get my child what he wants. It gets him a long time out in his room when we get home and he has to earn back several toys as well. But...well, it doesn't stop it from happening.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I never say that, I know better!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not I.

18 years of parenting has taught me one thing..Never say never... LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't have thought of saying it, because I don't spend a lot of time mentally in the future... I have said 'I don't do that with my kids' but not 'I wouldn't ever do that with my kids'...

I like the pregnant moms who look with such revulsion at the snotty, dirty, self-dressed toddlers, 'cause I know they're saying 'my kid will never...' And I know that odds are that they, too, don't care enough about a snotty face to have a war every 4 minutes with a kids with a runny nose... and that they, too, will find out that keeping a child looking clean and camera-ready is a massive waste of time and energy, and besides only non-mothers think that the snotty, dirty, self-dressed child is a poor reflection of the mother. Real mothers know it's a mother who likes her kid too much to pretend it's a doll for playing dressup with.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have never said that. I was way to busy trying to map out the grocery store in my head and the best way of getting in and out with two little ones before the melt down started. I set a mental timer in my head of just how long I had...lol. I was always focused on how to avoid those situations that is every parents nightmare in a public place.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Umm...........I still say it. I say my kids will never be able to throw tantrums. All of 4 of mine will not be allowed to do that. 0% tolerance in this house for tantrums. My 7 yo, 3 yo, and 4 yo are made to mind me, the parents. I will expect the same thing from my 6 month old. There's no way I will go somewhere and be embarrased by my children's actions, OR be the parent that no one wants to see coming w/ their children b/c they act so badly. So yeah. My kids will never be ALLOWED to do that.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 3:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010