Cloth diapers

How does cloth diapering exactly work? What are the benefits?

SkylaDarling

Asked by SkylaDarling at 2:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cloth diapers are washable and reusable, less in the landfill, more gentle on the baby's skin and come in many cute colors and designs.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Same as the benefits of not having to buy new disposable shirts every week.

The price difference, the lack of garbage created, the fact that there's a huge amount of them super-cheap on the second-hand market, the fact that they can be rinsed or finished in a variety of different ways, depending on the baby's bum (some are sensitive to acidic finishes, and others are sensitive to the dyes, bleaches and perfumes in paper, but cloth can be rinsed in vinegar or baking soda or neither --with paper, you don't have a choice).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• well, i bought a bulk pack 6yrs ago when my 1st son was born. we spent $350. i've never had to buy anymore diapers, i have three kids now. so financial alone it's a huge benefit.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You use cloth that is washable and remove the poop when it starts to become solid into the toilet. As for the benefits it is way cheaper especially when you look at using them for a second or third child (our diapers went through our 2 kids and SILs one child and are still good). It is just as convenient with the new diapers out there (fitteds, all in ones, pockets etc.) It is much better for the environment since we don't have all that human waste sitting in the dump for thousands of years to come not to mention the shear bulk of the disposable diapers there too. Better for babies skin and I could go on and on.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I breastfeed and before my daughter was on solids, if I used a disposable over half the time the poo leaked. I tried a different size, different brands, etc. Didn't matter. I was using cloth at home and disposables out and about. Around 3 months I got tired of the poo blowouts and just bought some pocket diapers and now we use those when we are out. I originally wanted to do cloth because it is more environmentally friendly, but there are plenty of other pros. Not that cloth diapering is actually environmentally friendly because you do use more water, but IMO, it's the lesser of the two evils. Washing isn't that big of a deal. You just throw it in the washer and then dry them. It's not like you're taking them out back to the creek with your washboard. You know? Disposables are more convenient, but that's really the only thing they have going for them and cloth isn't that much harder.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. I was just wondering how it all worked and how convenient it really is. Someone asked me what I was going to choose and I realized I had never thought about it before.
    SkylaDarling

Comment by SkylaDarling (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There are all kinds of diapers, too. Prefolds, all in ones, etc. So if you're considering cloth diapering, try out at least one of everything and see what works best for you. Borrow from a friend if you like, so you don't spend money on something that doesn't work for you.
    Also, you can google "cloth diapering" and/or join the cloth diapering group here to learn how to wash and care for your diapers. There are also diaper services available, which I know many people LOVE (just throw the diapers in a bag and set it out on the front step on the delivery day).
    I had hoped to cloth diaper, but my son is one of the few kids who actually got WORSE rashes with cloth than disposable. I was actually bummed! It definitely has its benefits, including financial and environmental.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010