How can I really over look....

all the housework that is piling up since I had my daughter 7 weeks ago!!! I am home with my two year old and newborn each day and can not get much done. It is driving me crazy!!!! It's more clutter than anything else. Seems like it piles up the next day even if I do make a dent. Husband gets home at night and all I want is a break so he doesn't tackle it that much. Most people say you just had a baby dont worry, try not to look at it, etc. I was cleaning at 1 week post partum but them the newbie started staying up more. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you can get a sling (and I would recommend that regardless!)... but my baby is 18 months and stuff still piles up. I think it's the curse of moms with young children. Simply not enough time in the day.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It helps if you have a friend in a similar position 'cause then you can use Teresa Pitman's 'finding your tribe' advice:

Spend a day or two a week with your kids at her house-- all day. You'll have 2 adults to do projects like cleaning or canning or big batch baking, or sorting through stuff or craft day with the kids, while you make lunch and maybe dinner for the whole crew, husbands and all. Then another day or two of the week, she can come with her pile'o'kids and do the whole thing at your house, her hubby can come to your place after work and they can all go home after dinner.

It's important to find people who have similar values --although not necessarily identical approaches or opinions-- so you can stand being together throughout the week, but expect it to involve the odd argument or misunderstanding without it being the end of the world.

Oh, and store stuff --lots of it. So you won't need to clean or tidy it at all
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i kno how u feel. and its even worse when someone is sick. all u can do is try ur hardest. if there is a time when they are taking a nap, stay up and get something done. even if its one thing, it will feel like a major accomplishment if its something that has really piled up.
    dont get me wrong, i am one of those moms who is all for sleeping whenever baby and kids sleep, but sometimes sanity requires a clean house.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It will get better! Its still hard for me and my daughter is 3 1/2 months old, I also have a 3 year old! When it gets really bad, I let the baby fuss and just tackle it!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Friends? In-laws? Family? Is there anyone else around that can come over on a Saturday afternoon and help you get caught up? Remember when you were pregnant all those people who said, "If you need anything...." Yea, call em up. Wanna see my new baby and do a load of dishes?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Have a friend or family member come over to help out a bit/play with the kids. It'll free you up to do a bit, and people like visiting the new baby. You could also try to do 10 or 15 minutes worth of work every hour.
    Noni2319

Answer by Noni2319 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Now that my DD is two I try to include her in as much as I can- she likes to help and it's the only way I can get things worked on while she is awake. It might take me twice as long to fold the load of laundry but at least it gets folded. Maybe your older child can "help" you with some things while the baby is sleeping or in the bouncy chair or swing for a bit. I also try to prioritize- the floor getting cleaned of dog hair so DD can play is important- the top of the bookshelf getting dusted even though no one can see it is not at the top of my list anymore. Sometimes the DH gets daddy-duty on Saturday morning and he'll take DD to the park or library and give me an hour or two to get chores done- it's amazing what I can get done without a 2 year old underfoot! But most of all know that in twenty years you won't say "I wish I had cleaned more when the kids were little" so do try to overlook what you can and soak up the time now
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a 3yr, 2yr, and 5 month. Here's what I suggest. Buy a sling for the baby. Each day just thoroughly clean one room and one room only!! Tackle that room any chance you get that day. When you get to the second day tackle a different room. If you do a different room "hard core" each day you only have to spend a couple minutes touching up the other rooms you've already cleaned that week. This is the only system that works for me...and if you skip one day it doesn't end up in total disater if you've been touching up every room everyday.
    Laundry is a whole different matter for me...I don't think I'll ever be caught up until all the kids are gone!!
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• After one week you pretty much have every room pretty well cleared so, it's not too bad keeping up. I agree though, you're not going to regret you're house not being cleaned everyday when the kids get older...
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a 2 year old, and my house is nowhere near as clean as I'd like it!
    If you can afford it, hire a maid. Or recruit a friend to give you a hand, since you have a new baby. Then make a rule that everyone cleans up after themselves (although I know that doesn't help with dishes, etc.).
    Ultimately, there's going to be clutter. I know, it drives me crazy, too! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010