Would you call the authorities/CPS/etc. or jump down someones throat if you were at a store/restaurant/etc. and heard someone in the bathroom stall spank their child?

My husband had to take our son into a restaurant bathroom one time and spank him because he was crawling on the table, under the table, coloring the table, screaming, etc. He took him to the bathroom, told him that he was being naughty, what he was doing, and how to change it, and that he loved him but was going to spank him. He swat our son's bottom, and our son cried a little, but was composed and well behaved the rest of the evening. However, when my husband came out of the bathroom, a waitress jumped down his throat for spanking our son!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I stay out of it. It's not my business. I probably would have spanked my daughter too. A swat on the butt is nothing, not if a saw a child being beat, I would do both.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'd tell the bitch to mind her business. I hate that people think they have a right to interfere with parenting. A swat on the bottom is not going to damage the kid.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would not have done any of those things, because I believe that your husband did the right thing. I'm willing to bet your son straightened up, too!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Actually, I would applaud you!!! I would then tell the waitress to STFU.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• good for u and tell the waitress to STFU! its ur child u can do wat u want!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• She needs to mind her own business. If he had spanked him in front of everyone, then it would be a totally different story.. but he took him in the bathroom and spanked him once to get him to stop acting up. Some people are taking this whole don't spank your children to extremes..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Hahahaha, my mom and I were complemented for spanking my son once. I told him to stop messing with a mirror. I was paying for shoes and he messed with it again and my mom told him that I had said to stop and that if he messed with it again, he was going to get a spanking. He did it and my mom asked him what happened and he said he messed with it. My mom asked him what was going to happen now and he said "I'm getting a spanking". And she said yes, that's right and gave him a little pop.

Some lady said we did a good job of warning him and explaining why he was getting it and then following through.

Unless you were really beating your kid, I wouldn't call. A normal spank doesn't warrant that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i would have prob done the same thing- and it wasn't the waitress's business- i might have even talked to the manager about it. ya gotta do what ya gotta do! now a beating is a different story...if i saw a hand raised to hit a child- b/c there is a difference- i would do say something.
    MamaLG

Answer by MamaLG at 3:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I find it kind of strange that someone would react that way to a father giving his son just one swat on the butt.
    KellyMMa

Answer by KellyMMa at 3:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• People need to learn when to make things their business.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010