to put a chip in a dog or not?

i know a lot of vets and places encourage putting the chip in your dog incase they ever get lost or what not.... im not sure if i want to do that... we have a dog who is about 7 and a puppy about 4.5 months old... what do you think about it?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 3:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pets

• If u can afford it sure why not I would ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is a good thing to do only if you register the chip, or else it will not do any good. It is good if ever the pet gets lost, it can be taken to any vet and trace the owner. I once found a Yorkie that had a chip but it was not registered tso we couldn't find the owner.

Answer by older at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would. Dogs can run away and they are part of the family so I would want to know where they are. A lot of people dont return missing dogs, espeically puppies.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A pet is a big expense, add that chip to your expense you will not regret it. It will hold all pertanent information. We lost pets are found that is one of the first things that are looked for, to see if there is a chip. It is a good idea.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I get my dogs chipped when they get their teeth cleaned.(no not every time)That way they are asleep and when they wake up it's over with.As said before if you don't register the number no one could notify you that your dog has been found.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yesl Why are you second guesing it? Is it because of the cost, or you think it will hurt? I can understand if its the cost, but vaccines can be spendy too, and we still make sure they get them. If the puppy hasn't been spayed/ nuetered, than that would be an ideal tme to get it done. You could even get it done at the next check up. I have seen this done many times (I was a vet assistant for 3yrs) and I can honestly tell you that its really quick, and most the time they don't even flinch. The procedure only takes about 5 min. It involves the Vet, one helper to hold the dog, and a needle (it does look kinda scary) with a tiny chip, the size of a grain of rice, that is inside the needle. The vet then pushes the needle into the thick part of the neck, and shoots the little chip under the skin. It sounds harsher than it looks. Most dogs tolerate this rather well. I think its a small price to pay, compared to losing your pet/friend
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• All my dogs have chips in them. I would freak out if they got out of the yard and I couldn't find them. I would hope someone would find them and could use the chip to track them back to me. It's a simple procedure and my dogs did well with it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Trust me.. it is worth it! I had a pup that loved jumping our fence. Luckily, the pound always checked for chips and we were called.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't recall it costing much. It's a great idea. My dogs often get out of their collars or lose their tags.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Either chip or tattoo - if the dog is purebred, tattoos are easier for people to find you (no trip to the vet and no having to register it) - I had a dog who was both chipped and tattooed who walked out the front door right after she was adopted when the new "grandpa" did not realize she was loose in the house (she was 7 when she was retired from showing and adopted out). She only went a few doors down and found another door that was open, popped inside and right up on the sofa ! The lady was rubbing her tummy and saw her tattoo - I start all my tattoos with AKC# and then the number. She called the AKC, who looked up the number and called me. We had her back with her family within only a few hours.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 5:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010