can you eat spicy foods if your pregnant?

michellezk210

Asked by michellezk210 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes but you're going to have some nasty heart burn. I loved spicy foods during my last pregnancy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I loved spicy foods when I was pregnant, but avoided it with my 4th and 5th due to the heartburn.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yes its sooo good but u pay for it with heart burn! :-( but totally worth it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I've never heard of a medical reason why you can't. Some woman tolerate spicy foods ok during pregnancy, while others suffer from heart burn.
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Do you think people in Mexico, India, or Szechuan China have so much food they can alter what the pregnant mom eats while everyone else eats 'normally'?

It is extremely unusual, in the world, for people to eat differently based on their age or status. Kids everywhere else in the world eat food, just the same as the rest of their families do, and there are no dietary restrictions for pregnant or lactating women.

Kids who grow up in women who eat spicy foods, then breastfeed with moms who eat spicy foods, are used to the flavours and smells of those foods and grow up eating them right from their earliest solids.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You can eat them and your body will let you know how well they are tolerated.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it will upset your stomach....i went to hooters on All You Can Eat Wing Thursday while pregnant and usually i get the hot or medium wings but the spice really upset my stomach and had to send them back and get the mild, which are yummy don't get me wrong but i like a hotter wing
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, it was all I craved while pregnant with my middle child. Why wouldn't you?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes you can eat spicy food, but I heard it will give baby a bad skin. I ate spicy food the other day and the baby is kicking uncontrollable, I guess he doesn't like it and it's just mild. I will never eat it again during my pregnancy, even tho i like spicy food.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I craved spicy food when I was pregnant, the spicier the better. I was lucky, I didn't pay for it with heartburn at all.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 3:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010