Do you ever feel like your just working and then getting kids ready for school and ready for bed?

It seems like there is no more play time with the kids. I crunched the numbers I have to work. Especially with having the medical insurance. I feel so guilty even though I know the time we have is quality and better then what some have.

Does anyone have ideas on how to keep enegry up? Vitamins or supplement? I gave up pop and always feel run down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• So, how long do you think it takes to play with a kid? They'll play for 2 minutes or 100... they're not picky.

If you're often run down, you may be low on iron, b vitamins or sleep (or all of the above). Try napping after work for more energy in the evening... or hire the help so you aren't doing it all. Avoid doing things that you habitually do that don't give you more energy: shopping for no real reason, watching tv, playing on the computer, listening to needy friends complain for the 800th time about the same thing they've done nothing differently about...

Play with the kids when you wake them up. No one ever said waking up was serious business. Play while you're cooking together --word games, rhyming games, singing songs, making up stories... none of them require your hands to do. Play in the bathtub... make up bedtime stories... play games after dinner instead of tv...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I feel that way allot to. That is why i do my best to get everything work/domestic done during the week to leave the weekend free for nothing but family.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I know exactly how you feel. I am in the process of changing my life with starting a home business after work and after the kids go to bed. Not always the best time of day.

I can tell you this that I felt better even if I just did a 1/2 hour of exercise a night. I noticed it boost my mood. You might want to try that. I also encouraged my kids to join in (4 and 5) and we did it together. Good Luck. We are here to support You.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 3:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• 24 hours in a day isn't enough, a good relationship with your partener helps when you can at least share the responsiblities and chores, I don't have that so ya its tough.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't sweat the small stuff, such as household choirs. I use to be that crazy woman that washed the walls, cleaned the ceiling fans, vacuumed ceilings, on top of scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees, and all the regular stuff (washing dishes, cleaning counters). I spent one whole day on laundry. I've learned to balance this stuff, one load of laundry a night seems sufficient these days, and the whole over kill on cleaning - yea that doesn't happen. Dishes might sit for a night if necessary so I can enjoy my boys.
    Exercise helps keep up my energy when I have time for it. I try to fit it in but its hard.
    I try to keep my weekends free so we can do things as a family. We may spend an hour cleaning up what we missed during the week and then the rest of the weekend is ours. I often felt guilty too about the little time I had, but I make the most of it and just let go of some things.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes. Every day.
    We alternate who cooks dinner and who gets 30 minutes of uninteruppted play time. the the opposite parent cleans the kitchen while the cooking parent gets him ready for bed. (It's not super fun, but it's time.) LOL. We started laying out and doing as much dinner prep time as possible the night before, so we have a few extra minutes in the evenings. Then we have family cuddle time for 15 minutes or so right before his bed time.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010