Autism linked to jaundice?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39580262/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/?GT1=43001

There seemed to be a lot of factors involved. What do you think?

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Many many infants are jaundice at birth. Some children, both children who were jaundice and children who were not jaundice, develop what is diagnosed as autism. This is a preliminary study, simply looking to identify correlations ... not cause. The conclusion that they're linked is erroneous.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That seems stretching a bit. MANY kids get Jaundice and have been for years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son has autism and was not jaundice. I do not inhale, inject, ingest anything unhealthy. Nor does his father. Autism is easier to diagnose, Lately Moms are becoming more educated about milestones our kids should be reaching and when. School districts have Parents as Teachers and many other programs to help spot signs. But I do see a great increase in the number of studies trying to find the cause. Which I am all for reach away. I want a cure!
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That kind of a study cannot identify a causal relation.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No, I don't believe it. Both of my kids were jaundice as well as tons of others I know, and no one has autism.

IMO autism is something that has become more and more common lately... L a t e l y... that is the key, meaning it might be something that is being used, injected, inhaled, ingested, whatever, more so now than in the past.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• So....60% of kids have jaundice....and some percent of those kids have Autism....that narrows down the reasons for Autism!
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 3:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I've heard of it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Journey311

Comment by Journey311 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Braden, I tend to agree. So far neither of my kids have been diagnosed with autism, but going by that article my 8 month old daughter is a "perfect" (for lack of a better word). She's my 2nd child, born in February (a "dark" month), and had jaundice (although it was never severe enough to warrant the lights). While I don't want to downplay the reality of autism (and I truly feel for the parents of those kids), at the same time, these articles cane easily scare a new parent.

What does a parent do with this type of information? Sit on it and hope for the best? Worry over whether their baby is on target for milestones, etc.?
    Journey311

Comment by Journey311 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• "IF" it just happened to be true, there isn't a damned thing anyone can do about it. TOO many kids develop jaundice and nothing can stop it. It happens or it doesn't. So, don't worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010