If you have a child on the Autism spectrum, did they have jaundice as a baby?

I saw this in today's newspaper. My ASD son was jaundice as a baby.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2010/10/11/danish-study-suggests-jaundice-autism-link.html

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hmmm...none of mine have been diagnosed with it, but 3 of mine were jaundiced - the child I've actually wondered if I should have tested was my only child who wasn't jaundiced though. The child who was jaundiced the worst...maybe I should have her checked out, she's got some quirks that I attributed to another health issue she had a couple years ago...ugh, I think next time I take her in I'll be talking to the doc about a few things...including this!
    Anonymous

• No he didn't.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son is on the Spectrum & he did have a very mild case of jaundice, but so do a lot of other babies. It's very common in babies, so I would think it would also be very common in children who go on to develop an ASD, especially with so many children being diagnosed these days.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There were only 2 studies done..one that disproved it, and one that said there was a correlation. Not enough to get excited about. My son did have mild jaundice and has Autism...but he was born in June, not in the winter as the story points out..more research needs to be done before pointing to that in any way. And the study didn't prove any causation
    Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 3:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Rileyscute
    I understand that. I was just curious as it seemed a bit odd to me that someone even thought there could have been a link. I just wanted to see how many people this could have related to.
    I don't get excited about anything when it comes to autism links to anything. But sometimes I DO get curious
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• So I am now wondering if this true what the people who are blaming vaccines will think. I asked my helper at work who's son is and she said he wasn't jaundiced. I do hope they are getting closer and closer to finding out what actually causes this for everyones peace of mind
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my oldest was very jaundiced. we had to use the blue light and everything but he is not on the autism spectrum. he is 6yrs old.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 4:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son did, but I see no connection jaundice has to do with the liver.I worked with children with autism formany years and have a son and nephew with it.i feel it is what it is and isnt due to outside influence like shots or whwere you live r even inside ailments though children with autism have more intestional problems.
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 4:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son was jaundice but is not autistic.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i read that story too. i found two things interesting. one, that babies born in the winter were more likely to have problems...maybe we should be having our babies in the spring, like so many other animals.
    the other interesting thing i was thinking about is the liver connection to autism. the liver is where many toxins are processed and eliminated from the body. jaundice is a sign that the liver is not functioning as well as it should. toxicity overload is another possibility for autism. so jaundice could be a warning that maybe the liver won't function well...so maybe if your child has jaundice, you should take extra care to avoid toxins. my dh was jaundice as a baby, and had a bad reaction to a vaccine. same thing with his sister. i had one baby with kind of bad jaundice, but we do not vaccinate, and we do take care to avoid toxins.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010