Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


what do u do when u want a divorce but the other spouse will not sign papers or leave. he is verbaly, mentally and physically abusive.

Answer Question

Asked by Tanisha709 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

Level 6 (116 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Find out what the laws in your state are, in Florida hubby is not required to agree or sign, get yourself a lawyer and get out soon!

    Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • It depends on what state you're in, but in California, you don't need his permission to get a divorce. Contact a lawyer.

    Answer by ohwrite at 4:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You wait for court and let the judge know why you want a divorce. Those are good reasons. They can approve it even if the other party does not want to. In the meantime find somewhere to live where he does not know where you are and get a restraining order.

    Answer by ABusyBee at 4:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • try to find help and just get out. Your safety comes first. Do not let him win. Okay?

    Answer by momindiana at 4:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • You can also find out if there are shelters for battered women where you are they can help you find a job and get away.

    Answer by older at 4:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • HE does not have to agree to a divorce, and in a relationship where you can prove ANY kind of abuse there is legal aid available to you for free. Google it. BTW- make sure you wipe out your browser so that he can't go back and check up on you.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • I filed for divorce and left. In PA, if one of the spouses will not sign, after two years, it can be ordered by the court.

    Answer by layh41407 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • even if he don't sign the papers you can still get your divorce. he can't make you stay married if you don't want too. but it will cost more. also if he will not leave and he is abusing you call the cops. and having him arrested. or just go to the police station and report him for domestic violence and STICK TO IT (i say that because a lot of women don't). if you do take out papers on him he can not come near you, if he does call the cops and they will arrest him on site.

    Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 4:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • yes if you want out get a restraining order & find somewhere else to live you dont deserve what he is putting you threw & if you have money take you & if you have kids get out while you can

    Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Go to the court and file to have the divorce finalized without him needing to sign papers.
    You can have the court finilize the divorce if he refuses to cooperate.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.