Questions on CPS

I can't believe I have to ask this. I feel like a horrible mother. To top it off I am about to go through a custody battle. Today my two year old opened the front door and walked out of the house. We caught him, but not before the cops were called. He was walking around in just his shirt and diaper, so the cop is calling CPS. They said I would receive a visit, but he is putting in his report the children are in good health. Now I am scared to death. What do I need to do? Any advice? What do they look for during a house visit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• First, I would instal; slide locks HIGH up where the kids can't reach them so that they can not get out again.

Just sit down and talk with the worker, if your house is in reasonable condition, the kids are healthy, well fed, etc then there is nothing to worry about... this CAN and will be used against you in court though, sorry to say.
    BTW, just curious... how did you not know he was missing?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ditto to what Obby said. First things first - go get some inexpensive slide or chain locks and put them HIGH - where you can reach, but a child cannot.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Are there beds with clean sheets, blankets, and pillows for all of your children? Is your house at least moderately clean (no dirty dishes, feces, or diapers laying around the floor)- clutter is fine? Are all of your utilities on? Clean clothes and food available? Are your kids all in good health and have been to the doctor on a regular (yearly) basis? Those are the major things they look at. As long as you aren't living in complete squalor with unhealthy untended children, they will only make one visit. I've had CPS called on me three times, all the by a vengeful ex and his family. The first 2 times they made one visit, the next time I was accused of drug use and went through two months of drug testing. Every time my case was closed.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Coopereate with whatever is asked of you. Make sure your house is clean, there is food, etc. The officer had no choice but to call CPS, he is a mandatory reporter. Just like, I would have to call as a social work student. Your case should be closed after one visit. Then get a sliding lock up where the child can't reach it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it happens a lot.. just dont worry as long as your house is safe and food is there u shouldent have an issue
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 9:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010