Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the best route to go to get a teaching certificate (Texas) Other input is welcome ;)

I'm flashing forward and thinking ahead here, but I can apply for my alternate certification in January because next semester will be last semester of college. I'm getting a general studies degree with concentrations in business, community service, and learning technologies. I enjoy children and have experience with handicapped, so I wouldn't teach any higher grade than say 4th or 5th. I was thinking maybe trying to get on with a private school while I am getting certified. What do you think? How hard is it to get in to a private school? I dunno decisions decisions. I know I have time, but just want some advice...


Asked by lowencope at 4:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,848 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I had an interview with a principal from a private school. In my area, the starting pay with a bachelor's degree is about $20,000 a year, (it's $36,000 for public here) however, if you have school aged children, then most give the teachers free or reduced tuition. So between, the experience, the certification, and the free or reduced tuition, it may be worth it.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • My state also offers the alternate certification. However, it is nearly impossible to get on with any school (public or private) because of funding. It's worth a shot in trying it but I would have a back up plan just in case you don't though.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Check with you State guidelines for certification. Not all states are the same. For example here in Michigan we have to have 90 credited hours from a 3 semester 4 year college or 135 credited hours from a 4 semester 4 year college. Then there is Indiana who determines there certification according to the needs of a county or school district and will differ accordingly. I wanna say you can do a search on Google for these and get fairly good results. Your other option would be to start with the County that you live in and contact that County Intermediate School District's office. They should have the info also. Here in Michigan we also have to pass a State mandated background check and finger printing.

    Answer by marchar2002 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Gosh, I'll have 120 hours Bachelor's degree. It's required to have a bachelor's degree in order to get the alternative certification. The courses take 3 months then you have to do student teaching or start at a paid position. That's why I thought I'd start at private school. The private school where I live only requires 20 hours of college. I just wonder how the pay is, but to get certified and experience, it might be worth it. I dunno.

    Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • My state you have to have a BA at least. You get your MA in the teaching certificate.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • A friend of mine is a teacher. She got her certificate at the same time she got her diploma. Here it's easier getting into private schools because they don't pay very well. You just have to keep applying to as many schools/school districts as you can.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010