what do you buy and do for your adult childrens birthdays?

my four our 22-27.ive did about everything,none of them really need anything.How much should I be spending? none are married or have children yet and three live out of state.

slyvester

Asked by slyvester at 4:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• my mom gives us $25 each. Spend what you want to spend and can afford to spend. My mom also takes me to dinner or makes dinner on my bady so that adds to her cost.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I ask them and if I do not get an answer I just get them a mushy card with lots of loving and add some money inside, or sometimes a pre paid credit card.

Answer by older at 4:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My boys are 18, 21 & 28. I don't think there's an amount you "should" be spending. I'm trying to actually cut back a little, My oldest also lives out of state.

I just look at my budget, and I look at what I know they want or need. I try to stay pretty equal in what I spend. If they don't need anything, then you can just have fun buying something you think they'll enjoy. I've given them Dinner and Movie gift certificates, Knott's Berry Farm gift certificates, my 21 year old asked for a year subscription for X box live. My youngest asked for a new desk. I usually set a limit, and try to stick pretty close to it.

My husband said that as they hit around 25, he'd like us to cut back a little more on what we spend, and I think that's a good age, as they are bringing home serious girlfriends, and I'm adding them to our gift lists, and will be adding wives and grandchildren, who I fully intend to spoil rotten.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I do about $20.00 and then a meal we have 6 kids & 12 grand kids it gets rather expensive
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• depends on how much you are able to spend... but I think giving them life experiences is a really neat thing to do.
    Instead of a gift like a toaster... get them a gift certificate for a hot air balloon ride, a scuba lesson, a day kayaking, a rock climbing lesson, a cooking class, etc.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I take mine out to dinner. We go someplace nice and I also buy them a little something and we also have a traditi.onal birthday cake.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• gift card or money
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i give him 100. for christmas, and 50 on birthdays
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Please see my question"what is the most embarrassing thing you have done to your child?", besides what I did to embarrass him, we gave him 100.00 and will be taking him out to dinner tonight. For our oldest son(22) who is married and lives out of state, we call him for his birthday.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 2:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have just given my adult child 20 for his birthday instead of giving something that he does not want.
    Flora407

Answer by Flora407 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010