Damn if I do ... Damned if I don't

A question was recently closed before I had a chance to reply to the most recent poster, but I read through her comments, and found some irony in it.

I have seen many non-Christians (particularly atheists) go after Christians for not knowing their Bible very well. They ridicule Christians for not having a complete understanding of Scripture, yet I was just chastised for being too "intellectual" about the Bible and my "spiritual state" questioned.

So which is it? Do non-Christians want us Christians to know what we believe or be ignorant of what we believe?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• "Gal the problem is the athiests only know about things... they do not have a relationship with Christ so really they know NOTHING. :-) "

I may know nothing of your idea of a god, and your relationship with that idea. But I sure do know about my spirituality. To say I know nothing is quite rude. i could say the same of you, but I have more grace than that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• really most atheist don't even know what the bible says. there are stories that are in the bible they take out of content.

but really a lot of the way the bible is written most things can go one way or the other. everyone can find a scripture to support their own beliefs christian or not.

people twist want the bible says everyday. so it supports their understanding. they will also only read part of a chapter and not the whole chapter to even know what was being talked about to begin with.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 4:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I feel that it's foolish to say you believe in something that you don't understand as well as possible. Especially if you want to make arguements about them, you should educate yourself about the tennents of your faith. It's pointless to enter a discussion if you don't know what your discussing. You do yourself a disservice as a believer remaining ignorant about your beliefs. If other believers chastise you for wanting to know, they are maybe afraid that knowing may allow you to see the flaws.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Most Atheists are well read in the bible. many are educated in the Torah and Koran as well. Many Atheists are christians who saw through the veil and were raised in churches just as you. To say that Atheists don't know, or read snippets, or take out of context is disingenuous at best, hypocritical at worst.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am a Christian and I know some but probably not enough but I will learn more and more my whole life..hopefully by the time I'm 80 I could win a debate lol.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I prefer everyone, Christian or not, to have a thorough understanding of what they believe. If that belief is stated to correspond with the Bible, then I'd like that person to know what's in the Bible. If that belief is independent of the Bible, then it doesn't matter to me whether you know the Bible inside out or not.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• lol obviously you do care
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• @ SAHM... Hate to pull a bullshit card on you, but statistically speaking, most Atheists have more religious knowledge than christians ;)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Gal the problem is the athiests only know about things... they do not have a relationship with Christ so really they know NOTHING. :-) You can know the Word of God word for word but it does nothing for your spirit if you do not let the one that spoke those words in you.
    Its just empty knowledge. :-)
    I have to be totally blunt about this...:-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have seen many non-Christians (particularly atheists) go after Christians for not knowing their Bible very well. They ridicule Christians for not having a complete understanding of Scripture, yet I was just chastised for being too "intellectual" about the Bible and my "spiritual state" questioned.

Yes, for anyone to say "I know MORE, na na na...." is totally insecure, aroogant, and sooooo third grade. Also, it is ok to have knowledge BUT it is more important to have the correct knowledge.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 8:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010