is there something special to look for in a breast pump?

They vary so wildly in price...I want something really good, simple to use, comfortable ....and practical!
Anyone got any tips to help me out?
What should i avoid??

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how often you will be using it. If you're going to be working full time, then a double electric is your best bet. Something like the Medela Pump n Style. Even if you're working part-time, a double electric is probably your best bet.

If you're staying at home and only pumping occasionally maybe a good manual pump or a single electric pump.

Avoid the First Years manual pump...sucks. I had the Avent manual hand pump and it's good. i also had the Medela Pump in Style and was great. I pumped for a year, 5 days a week, 3 times a day.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I didn't plan on breastfeeding too much so i got something pretty cheap but it was nice because you could adjust it to fit your boobs and just hold it with one hand. If you plan on using it a lot I would invest in a good one that you don't pump yourself. If you are pumping at work look for something compact or at least that has a bag with it to carry it. I wish I could remember the name of mine because it was very simple to use, plus clean up was easy on it, there were two cups attached to each side to collect milk that has measurements on them and a nipple attachment to go straight to baby.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 4:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You want a pump that was designed by a company that specialized in nursing. For instance Playtex has their hands in everything so how much money do they actually sink into research on breast pumps (or are they just trying to get their product on the market to make money?)
    How much time do you have or want to spend pumping? If you will be staying at home, a manual might be good but you have to take the time to pump. Or get an electric one to speed things up. Need to pump faster (such as those returning to the workforce) get a dual pump. They also make shirts that hold the cups in place to make it hands free.
    Good brands are Medela, Ameda, Avent
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010