When should I start giving my LO oatmeal cereal?

My baby girl will be 4 months next Monday the 18th. And I've just started giving her little bits of rice cereal, but she doesn't like it to much. So I was wondering a suggested time to maybe try some of the single grain oatmeal cereal.

Thank you

SamGames23

Asked by SamGames23 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• now would be fine. just feed the same cereal for a week consistantly in case it doesn't agree with her and then you know exactly what caused the problem.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Alright, so should I wait till she's been on the rice for a week? I have mixed a little in her bottles for about a month now, so I know she's fine with it.
    SamGames23

Comment by SamGames23 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If she good with rice for a month now then she should be fine....If you still have a hard time giving it to her try dipping it in a fruit....applesauce and pears are good starter fruits. but I'm sure that some one will disagree with me this is a hot button subject on CM.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yeah, everyones different. Thanks for the help. =)
    SamGames23

Comment by SamGames23 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If she's not interested, don't push it. No reason to start solids this early, wait until she's interested and start with something YUMMY like sweet potato or banana.

Oats should wait until 6 months, regardless. Grains are hard for them to digest and oats contain gluten which is double hard to digest!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Now should be fine just be fine to start oatmeal.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 6:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I dont recomend anything but formula or breast milk until 6 months. And after that I would skip cereal altogether. It's nutritionally void and very constipating. If she isnt into it, let her be and try again in a few months.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Oatmeal is fine at this age, and it has fiber so it isn't as constipating as rice. Just do it like you would any new food and give it 3-5 days in a row to watch for allergies.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2010