My kids sneak food.....

Ok so my girls are 7 & 8 and they sneak food. It doesn't matter if they just ate or how soon they are going to eat. They sneak into the pantry and take snakcakes and chips and pudding cups. I have tried taking away the next meal when they do it. I have tried putting a lock on the pantry. I have tried spanking them. I really limit the amount of portable food in my house to what they take for snack at school (It's WAY cheaper than sending $$ everyday). And they are like stealth bombers. They are in and out and the only proof I have is the next time they clean there room or I go in and put up clothes and there are the wrappers! Are my kids AWFUL? Has anyone else been in this situation and figured out a solution??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Buy only what they get to take to school. When that is gone they get nothing instead. Sounds like they are spoiled a bit. Try a sandwich and apple for lunch for a while and see how they like going without.
    Anonymous

• if they eat all their school snacks at home then they wouldnt have them for school.
    Anonymous

• quit buying that stuff. only have things in the house you dont mind them taking. you also should impose harder consequences for disobedience in general. they dont seem to respect you.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i say start buying more healthy (not too tasty) stuff.
    fruit cups, oatmeal granola bars, dried fruit packets...
    & tell them your not going to but any snackcakes or pudding because of thier behavior.
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 11:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have tried the not giving them snacks for school....andd the dang TEACHERS give it to them! Messes up the whole thing. Funny thing is my Niece (who is 3 and doesn't see my kids but 2 times a year, and they dont sneak food at anyone elses house!) does the same thing! Do you think I should say something to the teacher? What do you think they would say?
    Anonymous

• You can resort to the most basic solution there is. Buy only healthy snacks for school. No cakes instead substitute carrot sticks, no pudding apple sauce instead, cookies not going to have them use fruit instead. There isn't a child on earth who won't sneak if they can. warn the kids that this is what you will resort to if they continue sneaking snacks and that if they don't stop, you won't buy the goodies any more. But you must stand firm on the threat of no more yummy snacks.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Well just a thought, but maybe you could stash all the stuff for school snakes in your bedroom. Or even in your closet. Anywhere they won't be able to get to it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm sorry. I HATE when moms get on here and ask a question then shoot own all the answers! BUT I should have been more specific. They take healthy food. They LOVE apples, bananas, carrots. Not big fans of granola. I think I will try that one. The idea of only buying what they don't like is great. DUH. Sometimes when you are in the midst of it the obvious blows right past ya!

Anonymous

• Is it possible that the guidelines for eating have been smudged? Like eat in the dining room only. Have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks together?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• you can continue to be a hapless victim to all the things around you or you can take a little control over your kids and what happens to them. tell the teacher not to give them food, and quit buying the stuff. take back your authority.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 12:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008