Worried?

First of all, I am NOT anti Obama ( before you even go there) but some friends and I were having a discussion this evening about his possible election. Of course, the rumor that people think he will be assassinated came up. Mind you I said RUMOR, but it has happened in the past to other, less controversial, presidents. By controversial I am referring to the current state of affairs between supporters of both parties.

The one thing that made us all a little nervous was the potential reaction this could cause if it really happened(God forbid it would). If people went nuts and rioted over Rodney King getting beaten up. What would happen if Obama got killed???

Very scary thought....................................................................

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably the same thing that happened when any other president got shot or assassinated.

We as a nation will cry and hate the person that did it.
    There will be a huge meaningful ceremony, he'll be buried somewhere special.
    Some people will call it a hate crime, a racist gesture, etc etc etc.
    He will go into the history books for various reasons.

But I don't think it would cause any huge civil war or something. Yes, there are crazy fanatical freaks in this country from BOTH sides...but I think the majority of us are rational, good people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• none of it really matters in the end..Daniel 2:44
    Anonymous

• OOOO Karma...she will bite you in the rump for that one anon 11:04
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You know, I hadn't thought about that. Scary indeed!

Compare the Rodney King and OJ cases:

OJ gets off = Nothing but grumbling, Cops get off = Riots

McCain gets shot = Lots of grumbling, Obama gets shot = Lots of riots
    Anonymous

• It is a frightening thought if either gets killed. Obama because of possible rioting. McCain because of Palin as president.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Why are you people talking about this? It is totally hypothetical and a little crazy. Talking about someone dying and people careing more because he is black! Come on. Lets be a little more sensible.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I do believe this country is heading for another civil war type situation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't think it is necessarily a race issue. People were very upset when Kennedy was assasinated. I think it will be worse if Obama is simply because more people look on violence as a way of voicing opinion.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I just have no idea how to say this tactfully, but think about WHO will be rioting if Mr. Obama is, God forbid, assisinated? People who would be doing this are historically more inclined to violence when they do riot, and it might get really really bad for all the other people out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• "Why are you people talking about this? It is totally hypothetical and a little crazy. Talking about someone dying and people careing more because he is black! Come on. Lets be a little more sensible."

No one said anything about caring more, I think she is referring to different people's methods of handling outrage and anger.

If history is any indication, there could be real trouble. No one rioted when JFK or Reagan got shot, but beat down one black man who wouldn't cooperate with police and look what happened.

If something were to happen to Obama, there just might be real trouble, caused by those same people who let their emotions rule their actions. With no regards for society's rules of conduct. I'm not generalizing. I'm just speaking of those individuals. En Masse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2008