How to you get you kids to do there homework?

I'm a working mom...I work late nights

Rayne441

Asked by Rayne441 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I say "hey, did you do your home work?" and they say yes or they say they are working on it.

If you have waited until NOW to instill good homework habits then it will be an uphill battle. If you are working at night then dad has to step up and teach them these skills NOW. High school has no room for slackers... so get those habits ingrained NOW.

To start teaching these habits at such a late date will look like punishment to the child... but you have to get him/her to sit down at a regular time with out tv, music, phone, etc and do the work. They have to be diligent about listing what thier homework is and when it is due. You will have to stay on top of them until they get down a good routine... then start to ease off and just check they are doing what they should be doing.... eventually a habit will form.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• set a timer for whatever time you see fit and when it goes off thats homework time...in my home its 5pm...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Don't know your exact siutaion, but we set up a routine with our son's teachers when he started telling us he had no homework. Our son had to write down the assignment in his notebook or the words "no homework". Then the teacher signed the notebook. It took 2 seconds as my son left the classroom. Then I could see what the assignment was and make sure it got done. Working nights, you'd have to figure out a time to check it . That's what worked for us. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• **situation
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thanx ladies, I really appreciate everyones advice.
    Rayne441

Comment by Rayne441 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a routine, a homework place, and I stay in the area they are doing their homework in so I can answer any questions that might arise. It also keeps the kids on task if I keep them in sight.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 4:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Bribes!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This is what we do. We allow them to get a snack and then we have a quiet place for them to work. When they are finished with their work we go over it together and then I sign off in their agenda. If their work does not get done then they must finish it in the morning before school. They will then have to do an extra chore such as trash detail or even loose a privledge like not watching their favorite show.
    Stormy0225

Answer by Stormy0225 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I work during the day. So I am home when my DD gets home from school. She usually does her homework while daddy and I make dinner. And if she needs any help we help her than . she is 8yrs old. If we aren't going to be home later that evening then she does it when she comes home from school, after she has her after school snack.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2010