"Im comfortable with my body" is it just an excuse?

being comfortable with those things you can not change is wonderful... and something to strive for. But do you think there are people who use that saying "Im comfortable with my body" as an excuse to not get healthy or change things that are completely in their control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• Well if it was in their control and they weren't comfortable with it they would probably strive to change it.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 4:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not me. I refuse to give in to "love your body for what it is" because my body is not what it's supposed to be!! If I were a "healthy" weight for my height then I would be okay with whatever size/shape I am but since I have weight that I should lose I refuse to be okay with it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• a lot of people do. i saw a post from a woman who was 5'2" and over 300 lbs complaining about how she was comfortable with her body and was sick off ppl telling her she shouldn't be...at that height 160 is considered obese and she was a little less than double that. obese people are digging themselves an early grave by no striving to eat better and exercise...even skinny ppl who don't exercise are digging themselves an early grave because our bodies need exercise to function. it's not about looks, it's about health and if you're a parent you should strive to make yourself healthy so your children don't have to bury you before you meet their children or before they are even grow
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yes i do
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with you. It's okay to be satisfied or accepting of something that you CANNOT change, but for things you can (like an extra 75 pounds because you're eating garbage and not exercising), it's not okay. It's called complacency, or laziness, and it's everywhere. I strive to be the best I can be in all areas of my life, while understanding my natural limitations or permanent flaws, and I feel kind of bad for people who don't care enough about themselves to want to be their best. I sincerely hope for their sake that they someday come around and desire to be healthy--I have been in their shoes, and I feel about a zillion times better now, both physically and mentally.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If they are happy why would they want to change?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nope, in my case it's an invitation for people to mind their own business. I know I'm overweight and I have been since the age of 3. It's really not the concern of the general public.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's their body. They have to be the one who wants to change.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There have been a lot of NEW reports suggesting that overweight people can and are healthy, depending on their lifestyle decisions. It's much worse to be underweight because those appear to be overall worse lifestyles and not getting the nutrition that your body needs. Our country is so fixated on weight it's ridiculous. Ppl are bullied and picked on and put down and labeled because of size. I think it's stupid and God bless ANY woman who is comfortable in their body because even a normal (most women in our country are size 14) sized woman has hang-ups because of the media pressure about women's bodies.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010