How would you feel about your child care provider smoking pot occasionally, but never around your child.

I met a woman today who is a child care provider. She occasionally smokes, never with other children there, and her kids' parents are ok with it.

Thinking about it, I reallllly don't think I would be ok with it. I totally see two sides to it, but I just don't think I would be ok.

What are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• No! How do I know she didn't smoke right before I dropped my kid off an is high while caring for my child? Plus, even if pot isn't addictive and has no "long-term" effect it does cause things like absent mindedness and memory loss. I know, because I smoked it as a teen and I wouldn't want anyone in that mind state, high or not, caring for my child.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• No way! Her personal life can affect how she cares for my child. The parents that are ok with it are probably pot heads too.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• No. Absolutely not. What if she got caught with it and they came to her house to search while my child was there? What if her person she is getting it form contacted her at home with my child there. What if she decided one day to go ahead and smoke it with my kids there. What if I needed her to keep my child unexpectedly and she had already smoked it. What if my child found it? There are to many what if's involved. No.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I totally wouldn't be ok with it. The part that I would be most un-ok with, would the fact that she thought it was ok to talk openly about it. It means she has no common sense. I love to have a drink in the evening. Sometimes every evening if its a stressful time. However... I would not be telling me clients that I drink every night. Common sense says you just don't talk about with clients. So if this chick is dumb enough to openly tell everyone she likes to smoke pot, then she is... at the least... not very smart and lacking common sense. Maybe she's just an idiot, maybe she more wasted then she lets on. Either way.... she wouldn't be watching my kid.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• She should wait till they all the kids are gone, in the evening or weekends would be fine
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i wouldnt want some one who is stoned watching my child whether they did in front of or not>I would find a different program.
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My dd's uncle watches her and he is a pot smoker. I think people take to pot differently. If I were to smoke I would be out of my mind and not trust myself to take care of my daughter. But he smokes a lot and I couldn't tell the difference between him high and not. I trust him fully with my daughter and as long as he is not smoking in front of her or setting her down to go do it I don't mind it. BUT that is family that I trust I don't know if I would be okay paying some stranger to watch my child not knowing how marijuana effects them.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Also... in our state.... if you knowingly visit a place where you know drugs are used, you can be charged yourself.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What she does on her own time is not any ones business, and I would have no problem with it as long as my children are well taken care of and happy.

Answer by older at 5:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There is no way in HELL I would ever allow a freaking druggie to care for my child!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010