My question was not asked properly...

My son is being deployed tomorrow...I'm upset, so I asked the question in the worse way. I am trying to get ahold of a group of men who see the military depart at the airport. They have flags and are retired military that see the men off with honor...Can't remember the name of their group but I remember they all ride motorcycles...

Dianna6763

Asked by Dianna6763 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In Portland OR we have the Patriot Guard who do as you described, but (my understanding) is only for those coming home, especially KIA. Hope this helps!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sorry, no idea but I'll bump for ya.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not every city has that. Just so you know. They are volunteer base. VFW is who one group who does that. Another would be Amvets, USO, Red Cross volunteers... What do you hope to accomplish by getting a hold of them?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Also, many who deploy in "company's, flights, squadrons, etc...." don't necessarily fly out of commercial airports. Sometimes they charter a private plane that picks them up at the base... There are so many variables to your situation. More than I think you realize. Good Luck.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The Marine Corps League does some of this too.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 6:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is probably the Patriot Guard---motorcycles,etc.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry but Idk...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When my husband deployed, he left from a military base, not a civilian airport. So, it was just families there to say goodbye. You might want to check with him about trying to have something like this there first.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It has been my experience as a commander's wife that departures are reserved for family. Parting is difficult and there is nothing to warrant a celebration. Save the celebration for the homecoming.

Our city coordinates with the base to make sure there are people to meet those returning from deployments. They turn out even in the middle of the night!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Try Freedom Riders. Your local VFW post or American Legion should know.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010