Why is my daughter sleep-walking?

My daughter has always seemed to have sleep problems (crying out in her sleep, tossing and turning) but recently, at around 11pm - 12am, she's been caught wandering around the living room and when I ask her what she's doing, she acts like I just woke her up. Could it be something psychological or emotional that is bothering her? She acts perfectly happy during the day and never remembers any of these spells.

beefgoddess

Asked by beefgoddess at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh, that can be spooky. My cousin, around age 10-11, was found by his dad in the middle of the night, knocking on the door across the street, yelling, "let me in!" He thought it was his house. He was TOTALLY asleep. What a horrible response -- I don't even have an answer!
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would talk to the doctor! I would also talk to her and see if something is bothering her. Maybe something with her friends or with a sibling. Try to get her to talk about it.

I would also talk to her as she is sleep walking. Maybe she will say something in her sleep that might give you a clue!
    Strssdmom72

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It sounds like a troubled spirit, Pay clos attention to what your child takes into her spirit. During the day note what she see's and closely monitor her reactions to things. Tell her sometimes you worry about things, Ask her if she ever worries about stuff? Ask her if someone has touched her inappropriately.
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 1:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• its normal - just be sure she doesnt leave the house at night- you could see if a baby gate in her doorway would deter her from roaming the house and maybe wake her.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• sleep walkers often do this from lack of sleep. And it sometimes is heriditery. If you do a google search for sleep walking there is a lot of good advice out there from experts about how to handle it, and why they do it. I know that when I am short on sleep, I sleep walk. put a deadbolt on your doors to the outside. That way it will be harder for your child to get outside. Also, I have heard that stress can also cause us to sleep walk. See if something is causing your child stress.
    dunkley4

Answer by dunkley4 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with dunkley4. My dd talks and flails in her sleep and occasionally sleep walks. She's been doing this ever since she learned to talk. And she really only sleep walks when she's overly tired or had a particulary exciting day.
    luvmylaylabug

Answer by luvmylaylabug at 6:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son age 8 and daughter age 4 do this he has done it since little my dd just started about 6 months ago..I notice my son does it when he is over tired and doesnt remember it at all.. the dr says its okay and I make sure I have high locks on the doors so he cant get out although he never trys he only comes to my room..sometimes even walks right past me in the livingroom to goto my room..lol so I wouldnt worry to much
    rickysmum2

Answer by rickysmum2 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i used to sleep walk when I was a kid, I think it happens when the child or person is having to ajust to something new in the lifestyle or if their is something bothering the child to where she is deep in thought before she goes to bed.
    tiff04

Answer by tiff04 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I use to sleep walk when i was younger. There was nothing to explain it with other than, it was something i did. I outgrew it and my parents ended up blocking my door with something similar to a baby gate. Eventually I stopped doing it.
    lovelygurl2405

Answer by lovelygurl2405 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

lovelygurl2405