i have my first real dr appt today... will i get an ultrasound?

i want to get some peoples idea about the general consenuse of what dr's do at this appt, i am 9 weeks will i get an ultra sound? i know this girl who is 1-2 weeks behind me and she got one last week at 7 weeks, is it standard procedure or up to dr and ins company? i just wanna see my baby... can i ask for one?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• at or around ten weeks they like to check for a heartbeat to make sure it is an established pregnancy so there is a good chance that you will get an ultrasound but it may be just a quick little one! i went in at 8 weeks and he made me wait til 12 weeks but i got my best pictures at that first u/s so good luck!
    melsamomnow

Answer by melsamomnow at 9:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• depends on the doctor! I have my first appt and ultrasound at 7 weeks. I know others that only get one at 20 weeks!
    sarajo23

Answer by sarajo23 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• It depends on the doc. I got one and I was only 5 weeks along. It just depends.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 11:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• When i went in to my first appt i was 5 weeks 3 days. I told them about my miscarriage from last year and that i was really nervous. So, they asked me if i wanted one to make me feel better. You can try telling them that if you can get an ultrasound it will help you stay calm and not be stressed.. Like everyone is saying.. Every doc is different... Good luck =)
    Tamara_Fisher

Answer by Tamara_Fisher at 12:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• yeah, you should get one to determine how far along you are.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2008