He hasn't worked in 3 weeks!

I am stressed every day because we are so broke that I fear losing electricity and what to feed the kids. He says he's trying but I don't feel secure. I still love him but this is tearing our relationship apart

brimarie8

Asked by brimarie8 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• could you look for a job?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• This is one of the toughest issues you'll have to deal with as a family. Times are tough now and will get tougher. This is a test of your marriage, or at least take it as that. Keep incourageing him to get work, but try not to freak on him!! LOL Times like what you are going through can break a marriage, but you can use it to draw you closer. Tell your dh you have faith in him and you know he'll always take care of you and your family. This boosts his ego and gives him alittle more faith in himself. Try to hang in there and hang on to your love.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I do work full time
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• 3 weeks is not that long. Believe me I know what it is like to be dead broke! Try to hold it together. Everyone experiences tough times. Things will get better. If he is truly trying, you falling to pieces will not help the situation. Encourage, don't pressure. This will only stress him out and he won't make clear decisions. You have more power than you think. Send him out to look for a job feeling confident and he'll come through.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I've been out of work for 5 months, and I'm a single parent. Unless you know him to be lazy or irresponsible, then I am sure he really is trying. Times are tough, and the jobs just aren't there right now. Is he getting unemployment? It's not as good as a paycheck from a job, but it's something. I know you're freaking about paying bills and all, believe me I'm there, but don't be too hard on him. Unless you can prove he's not looking, or whatever, just try to stay calm and give him a break. 3 weeks is not very long at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• 3 weeks is not all that long. As long as he knows his "job" is to look for a job until he finds one. He needs to spend all day doing so. Nothing will tear apart a relationship with a man faster than you riding his balls and making him feel less a man for not having a job.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2008