Am I too cheap?

I babysit my friend's 21month old for $16 a day ($80 a wk) . I provide 2-3 meals, plus snacks, give bathes, take to the doctor, go get medicine, & I take her w/ me everywhere I go. If I eat somewhere other than at home, I will either share or get her something of her own. I keep her anywhere from 11-11.5hrs a day. My oldest DD (5) has started going to therapy 3x wk, my youngest (3) is in a home-based program through head start. Anything either does w/ their school, I have to take the baby w/ me, same for errands,etc. Plus the baby is getting ready to potty train.

When money wasn't tight, it wasnt a big deal; but things have changed (for both me & my friend) and I feel like with all I do, I should make at least $100-$120 a week. What would you normally charge for this kind of schedule?

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 5:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are the cheapest daycare I've ever heard of and I live in an area with a low cost of living. I would kindly talk with your friend about some price changes. Good luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 5:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That sounds insanely cheap if you provide all of the services you detailed, plus food. But you called this person your friend, and that's where it gets very, very touchy. She may get upset if you try to raise the price to the rate it should be. Tough call--how close are you to this person?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well, based on having the child for 11 hrs a day, you are making less than 1.50 an hour. That is WAY cheap. I don't know how easy it will be to rise rates, though. Good luck!
    rixey

Answer by rixey at 5:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When I babysat for my nephew 10 years ago, I charged $100 a week & that was cheap THEN. Yeah, you're really "cheap". I would talk to her about an increase & explain your reasons & perhaps have some price comparisons available so she can see what a bargain you are even with the increase in price.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Babysitters make anywhere from 10-20 dollars an hour. So yeah I def say you are way too cheap and should suggest getting more for all your services. I tell you what she is lucky to have a friend like you.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• vicesix: We've been friends for almost 2yrs; I guess we are close. We do things together (bday parties, playdates, etc) sometimes but not as often. She used to pay me $30 to do fold clothes & sweep on Sundays. She works 2 jobs (the 2nd at home in the evenings).
    eblstanford

Comment by eblstanford (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If this is the price you agreed upon I don't see what the problem is. If you feel like you're doing more than you originally agreed on then let your friend know. Let her know what you are willing to do and not willing to do, and the price you would like her to pay. I wouldn't be surprised if she's caught off guard since it sounds like this was the price you quoted her from the beginning.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• this is crazy.... I understand its your friend but 16 dollars a day? how the hell do u survive off that money? I would charge at least ten per hour
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 5:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• skittles: I NEVER gave her a quote. This started out as a temporary thing and just never stopped. I know her financial situation, but I feel that since she has the 2nd job & makes around $400a wk from it (the 2nd job is just p/t), she should be able to pay me more. And I dont expect you to " see what the problem is" b/c you aren't in the situation (no offense meant).
    eblstanford

Comment by eblstanford (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• OP, how long have you been doing it at this rate?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010