What would you charge?

I babysit my friend's 21month old for $16 a day ($80 a wk) . I provide 2-3 meals, plus snacks, give bathes, take to the doctor, go get medicine, & I take her w/ me everywhere I go. If I eat somewhere other than at home, I will either share or get her something of her own. I keep her anywhere from 11-11.5hrs a day. My oldest DD (5) has started going to therapy 3x wk, my youngest (3) is in a home-based program through head start. Anything either does w/ their school, I have to take the baby w/ me, same for errands,etc. Plus the baby is getting ready to potty train.

When money wasn't tight, it wasnt a big deal; but things have changed (for both me & my friend) and I feel like with all I do, I should make at least $100-$120 a week. What would you normally charge for this kind of schedule?

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 5:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I paid $180 per week when my son was that age and in an in-home daycare.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 5:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I run a registered home daycare program with multiple quality and health related certifications. I charge 25 per day for under 2 and 22 for over 2. It all depends on the standard rate is for your area. You can find the median rates by contacting your local Child Care Resource and Referral office.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, I pay $125 a week for my son to go to an in home licensed daycare for 9 hours a day, 4 days a week ( although technically I do pay for 5 full days )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would find a fair hourly rate. 11 hours a day is a lot! I would charge $3/hr. Once again cost of living here is low. Why don't you call some inhome daycares in your area and see what they charge? Then you could find an inbetween fair rate for both you and your friend.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 6:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If you want to see what people charge in your area you can check out www.care.com. Search by zipcode. You can see people offering jobs and also people looking for jobs. Most of them post their hourly rate.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i paid 180 in child care for 2 weeks and I make 50 a week keeping 2 kids for a few hrs in the evening,i would discuss it with ur friend
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• the going rates are typically $20-$40 a day pending on the facility.

I'd go with $20 a day.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• if $80/wk is what you agreed to, then that is what you should get. you can talk to her about it, but honestly, that's what you agreed to. if she has changed the agreement, and has demanded that you do things other than what you'd previously agreed upon, then, yeah, you have a right to more money/compensation. but you can't just raise the price because you feel like it. that would be going back on an agreement that you made. try talking to her and renegotiating. but honestly, if you are doing what you agreed to do and just want more money, don't be surprised if she gets upset
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010