Okay.. My Dh and I are talking about Columbus day and Thanksgiving..

I was looking them up to get my facts straight, and now I'm totally confused. Can someone either explain to me what the days represent or send me a link. I know today is the day Columbus discovered America, and google says (lol) That today is Thanksgiving in Canada.
Now heres where I'm lost. I thought Thanksgiving had to do with the Pilgrims and Indians and somewhere down the line that day stuck as a tradition to share your food and what not. (I know worst summed up version ever) Anyways DH thought Thanksgiving was the day Columbus founded America. Anyways.. WTH is Thanksgiving REALLY about? All I can find is that its a harvest day celebration, and to thank God for your food. Don't most people that thank God for food do it daily? Not once a year? Okay.. Help me out please. I feel like a fool. haha

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• Columbus and Thanksgiving have nothing to do with one another.

Columbus did not "discover" America, nor did he have anything to do with the "founding" of America. He didn't even land on the North American continent, he (and his ships) landed in the Bahamas.

Thanksgiving, is traditionally recognized as being the "harvest" meal. And is held in recognition of the harvest meal that was shared in they Plymouth Colony between the natives and the Pilgrams. The pilgims survived a long harsh winter, and the "feast celebration" was in honor of Giving thanks to God for a good harvest and them surviving the winter. Some say that the pilgrims would have starved if it weren't for the Natives, others say differently... Thanksgiving has been a national tradition since the late 1800's.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• you should give thxs everyday but most ppl go all out for thxsgivin in nov. a time to share and give to those that dont have.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010