bedtime tantrums

I have two girls--27 months and 7 months. Lately (past few days) my 27 month old is going apesh*t at bedtime. Just screeching and writhing on the floor. She may have a slight cold, is still traumatized over the new baby, and got a new "big girl" bed yesterday. It's trying and even more so because my husband blames me whenever she exhibits undesirable behavior. Does anyone have advice on how to calm her down. My usual bedtime routine isn't working. She protests at baths, at story time. Our house is already calm and quiet, not a lot of activity, so I don't think it's a case of over stimulation. I'm reluctant to do time out because she screams through out it and at this time, the baby is already in bed, and with both crying, it makes it that much harder to get anyone down.

Help.

Pumamama

Asked by Pumamama at 11:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel for you, I could have posted this question! I have a 2 1\2 year old girl and a 3 month old baby girl. I put my 2 year old in a big girl bed about a month ago and boy oh boy did she start throwing fits! She would wake up her sister and all hell broke lose with two crying screaming kids! I ended up putting her sister to bed in my room (at the oppisite end of the house) for a few nights and letting my oldest scream her head off. She got the point that bed time is bed time and quit throwing her fits. I would go back there every 15 minutes or so and I would lay her down tell her I love her, smother her in kisses and walk away. Its hard to hear your baby crying like that but you have to do what you have to do :( I wish you the best of luck during these trying times.
    P.S. congrats on your new baby :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008